What’s better than a homemade baked mac and cheese? This Andouille Sausage Mac & Cheese recipe that’s stuffed with andouille sausage!
Welcome to Spiced! After much thought, I’ve decided to expand The Bakery Spot into a more comprehensive culinary blog. So in addition to delicious baked goods (don’t worry, those won’t end), you will also begin to see savory topics on here as well. Thank you to all of my The Bakery Spot readers for your continued support of this site!
Stay tuned as I have many fun new posts and projects lined up for Spiced…
And now. A killer mac & cheese recipe! It’s good. It’s really good.
Pasta pairs with Andouille sausage and shredded white cheddar for quite the delicious mac & cheese!
Did you make this mac and cheese at home? Leave a comment, or snap a photo and tag me on Instagram (@Spicedblog) – I’d love to see your version!
Andouille Sausage Mac & Cheese
- 16 oz. pasta
- 16 oz. Andouille sausage
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup all-purpose Flour
- ¾ cup finely diced yellow onion
- ½ cup finely diced bell pepper
- ¼ cup finely diced celery
- 3 Jalapeños finely diced (seeds removed)
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper optional
- 18 oz. sharp white cheddar cheese shredded
- 6 oz. gruyere cheese shredded
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Finish with chopped chives and salt/pepper to taste
- Cook pasta in salted water for about 3 minutes less than the recommended time. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Heat small amount of oil in bottom of an oven safe pot. Add diced andouille sausage, and cook until done. Remove and reserve the andouille.
- Using the same pot you used to cook andouille, melt the butter, then add the flour and stir constantly until you get copper or darker roux (approximately 7-9 minutes or when the roux smells nutty). Add diced onions, celery, bell pepper, and jalapeno near end.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk and heavy cream in another pan on low-medium heat.
- Once roux is finished, slowly whisk in the milk and cream mixture and continue to simmer until the mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Reduce temperature to low and cook another 10–15 minutes. Whisk in the salt and shredded cheeses. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Using an oven-safe baking dish, stir in cooked pasta.
- Top with bread crumbs and place entire in a 450° oven until breadcrumbs turn golden brown (approximately 25 minutes).
I look forward to sharing more recipes with you!