This Delicious Banana Walnut Bread recipe has been passed down through my family for generations. It’s an amazing way to use leftover bananas!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
I love keeping fresh fruit around the house for healthy snacks…and bananas are one of my favorites. But despite my best intentions, sometimes I don’t get to the bananas before they begin to turn brown. But that’s quite alright because the overripe bananas are perfect for this delicious banana-walnut bread…jackpot!
Unlike other banana breads which often turn out dry unless you add a whole bottle of oil, this recipe relies on butter and simple, quality ingredients to coax an amazing flavor from the bananas.
Tip: I actually prefer pecans instead of walnuts in this recipe. Walnuts are the most common partner to bananas, but I find the nuttiness of pecans actually creates a tastier bread. So pick your fave and swap in and out.
Hint: If you are trying to sneak in some healthy ingredients, this recipe works well with 1/2 All-Purpose flour and 1/2 whole-wheat flour. Try it both ways…the extra depth of flavor from the whole wheat flour will make you fall in love with this bread all over again!
Banana Walnut Bread
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in an electric mixer fit with paddle attachment.
- Add the egg yolks and beat well. Blend in the bananas, vanilla, lemon juice, and walnuts.
- Mix in the flour and baking soda until fully incorporated, but don’t over beat. Add hot water.
- Beat the egg whites and fold into the batter. The batter will be lumpy from the bananas and walnuts, but remember not to overbeat.
- For muffins, bake for approximately 20 minutes. (Note: Mini-loaves will take closer to 45+ minutes to bake while large loaves will take 60+ minutes. The loaves are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.)
So grab those overripe bananas off the counter and get to baking…then sit down with a hot cup of coffee or tea and enjoy the season!