If you’re looking to feed a crowd with very little effort, then this Slow Cooker BBQ Shredded Beef is the answer! It’s delicious, and it only takes 5 minutes to prepare!
I’m almost embarrassed to share this recipe today. Key word: Almost. This Slow Cooker BBQ Shredded Beef could possibly be one of the easiest recipes ever. You literally put a beef chuck roast in a slow cooker and pour in a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce. I did doctor the sauce up with some extra spices, and I highly recommend taking the extra 60 seconds to do that. The spices add a fun depth of flavor to the finished sammiches. If you’ll commit to spending 5 minutes of prep time in the morning, then you’ll have dinner ready and done that night. (And chances are you’ll have leftovers, too!)
We love to entertain. On any given weekend, we’re either planning a chill game night with friends or hosting a bigger outdoor grilling party. (In the winter, the grilling party moves indoors and becomes a gumbo party or a make-your-own fajita party.) Because of that, I’ve always got a short list of party recipes stashed away in the back of my brain. These are recipes that (1) are delicious, (2) require very little effort to make/serve and (3) are delicious. This Slow Cooker BBQ Shredded Beef hits all 3 of those requirements!
Slow Cooker BBQ Shredded Beef
I used a boneless chuck roast for this recipe, but honestly you could use any beef roast that happens to be on sale. Now that we’re heading into the colder months here in upstate New York, there seems to be some sort of roast on sale every week at the grocery store. Use whatever you can find! Just look for a roast that’s in the 3.5-4.5 pound range.
As far as how to serve this Slow Cooker BBQ Shredded Beef, we opted for sammiches. Delicious, saucy barbecue sandwiches. After slow cooking for 7-8 hours, that beef roast will shred quite easily. In fact, I basically just stirred the sauce with a spoon, and the beef roast fell apart. Let the slow cooker simmer for another ~30 minutes or so to thicken the sauce, and you’ve got a pile of BBQ shredded beef that’s perfect for all sorts of recipes!
Other easy recipe ideas:
- Bake up a plate of frozen french fries and top ’em with this shredded beef.
- Or take the easier route and make nachos using a pile of tortilla chips.
- Another option is to bake up several potatoes (the really big ones) and top ’em with a spoonful of shredded beef.
- Or maybe place a spoonful of beef on a tortilla, add some mozzarella cheese and turn it into a quesadilla (or just a taco).
The options here are endless! I personally like the sandwich idea as the crunch from the cole slaw is a great contrast to the saucy BBQ shredded beef. But get creative! Let me know how you used this shredded beef. I’m always looking for new ideas in the kitchen!
Did you make this Slow Cooker BBQ Shredded Beef at home? Leave a comment. Or snap a photo and tag me on Instagram (@Spicedblog). Happy (slow) cookin’!
Slow Cooker BBQ Shredded Beef
For the Shredded Beef
- 4 pound boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 18-oz. bottle barbecue sauce
For the Sandwiches
- 8 hamburger buns
- prepared cole slaw
- sliced pickles
- Spread mustard on top of roast and then place into slow cooker. Sprinkle spices over roast and then pour barbecue sauce on top.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7 hours.
- Transfer beef to a large cutting board; shred using 2 forks. Return beef to slow cooker and stir until well combined.
- Continue cooking for 1 more hour. (Tip: Remove the lid of the slow cooker for the last 30 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.)
- Place several spoonfuls of shredded beef onto each bun. Top with prepared cole slaw and sliced pickles.
Looking for other tasty recipes for feeding a crowd? Check out some of my other favorites: