Tired of buying coleslaw at the store? Then make your own! This Quick & Easy Classic Coleslaw recipe is easy, inexpensive and quite tasty!
Coleslaw is one of those dishes that took me a while to appreciate. I never really enjoyed it when I was younger. There I said it. I grew up in the South, and I didn’t like coleslaw. I never touched it at picnics. I’d ask to substitute it when it came as part of a meal. But then, as I grew older, the strangest thing happened…my taste buds began to change. (Imagine that!) I developed a taste for vinegar, and not surprisingly I began to enjoy some types of coleslaw, too. Now I should clarify here: I feel like most coleslaws that you find in restaurants and markets are these soupy mixtures drowning in watery mayo. Appetizing, right? Nope. Not to me. But this Quick & Easy Classic Coleslaw is just that…quick and easy. Not only is it pretty inexpensive to make, but it’s also many, many times better than the prepared stuff you see behind the deli counter at the local market!
If you’ve been reading Spiced the past few months, then you’ll know that my wife and I have been using the grill in all sorts of delicious ways. From Smoky Whiskey BBQ Burgers to Fall-off-the-Bone Ribs to Hickory Smoked Pulled Pork, it’s safe to say that our fridge has been loaded with tasty dishes all summer! And you know what? Coleslaw is the perfect light side dish to complement all of these tasty, smoked dishes. At the beginning of the summer, I was purchasing coleslaw at the store, but honestly it just wasn’t very good. (see note above about soupy, pre-prepared coleslaws.) So my wife decided she was going to make her own…and I’m really glad she did! One Saturday while I was manning the grill, she whipped up this delightful Quick & Easy Classic Coleslaw. The recipe makes loads of coleslaw, which is fine by me since we happen to have loads of pulled pork right now! So next time you pull the grill out, grab the ingredients for this coleslaw and make your own. It’s tasty, light, and the perfect side dish for all of your backyard barbecues!
Quick & Easy Classic Coleslaw
- 1/2 head red cabbage shredded
- 1/2 head green cabbage shredded
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- Using the slicing blade of a food processor, slice the cabbages. (A chef's knife can be used to finely chop the cabbage if a food processor is not available.)
- Switch to the shredding blade of the food processor and shred the carrots. (A vegetable peeler can be used to shred the carrots is a food processor is not available.)
- Combine cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add remaining ingredients (mayonnaise, sugar, milk, buttermilk, lemon juice, vinegar, and salt). Mix until well combined.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture to the cabbage and carrots and stir until well coated.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.