These Homemade Lemon Coconut Bars are a family favorite! Packed with bright lemon flavor, these bars are a great dessert for hot summer days!
Summer is finally here, and since I live in upstate New York, I couldn’t be happier about that! The snow is gone…at least until October. Ok, maybe we’ll make it through October, but I still don’t want to think about snow and shoveling the driveway right now. Instead, I spent the morning working in the garden and mowing the grass.
There’s nothing better than a day in the yard followed up by dinner on the grill! Fresh veggies are starting to pop up everywhere, too. This weekend, my wife and I were in the mood for a summertime dessert. By “summertime dessert” I mean something bright and fresh…and of course, delicious!
In recent weeks, we’ve made Peach Bellini Pound Cake and Southern Banana Pudding, but this week we were in the mood for something lemony. So I headed over to the kitchen and made a batch of these Homemade Lemon Coconut Bars. Easy, delicious, and loaded with lemon: the perfect summer dessert!
I remember coming home from college one summer and helping my mom tweak this recipe. We must have made at least 10 batches of lemon bars before we finally were happy with one. (I’m not complaining about making 10 batches of lemon bars, though. If I recall, not one single lemon bar went to waste.)
If you are a fan of lemon, then definitely put this recipe on your list of summer desserts to make. The tart, intense flavor of fresh lemons mixed with the sugar will leave you coming back again and again…and then you’ll be left wondering what happened to all of the lemon bars! So next time you are at the market, grab some fresh lemons and shredded coconut and whip up a batch of these lemon bars for your summer picnic. Enjoy!
Homemade Lemon Coconut Bars
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup confectioner's sugar plus more for garnishing
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice about 1-1.5 lemons
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour and powdered sugar with melted butter. Press into the bottom of an 8-inch square greased pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, mix the remaining ingredients (sugar, baking powder, eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest and coconut) in a medium bowl.
- After 20 minutes, remove crust from the oven and pour the lemon mixture on top. Bake for another 25 minutes.
- Chill, and garnish with powdered sugar just before serving.