These Fluffy Buttermilk Waffles are light and flavorful…perfect for Saturday morning breakfasts!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
I’m talking a duck with no wings. Those wings never stood a chance.
I’m talking a rabbit with no head. I swear this isn’t something from a horror movie. Just something from a dog’s world.
I’m talking a leg from an ice-skating tiger. I have no idea what happened to the rest of the tiger. It’s probably under the couch.
I’m talking a legless cow wearing an apple-printed dress. Who comes up with these dog toy ideas? A cow wearing an apple-printed dress…really?
And squeekers? Forget about it! You’d think those squeekers personally insulted our dog’s mother with the vim and vigor that he rips them out of new toys.
So what do all of these toys have to do with these delicious Fluffy Buttermilk Waffles? Well, at any given time, there are no less than 4 random toys scattered around our kitchen. I’m sure Maximus thinks he is bringing them over as gifts, but I see them more as booby traps. Whenever I’ve got a hot pan in my hands, I can always count on turning around to find a tailless skunk on the floor right behind me. (Similarly, I have a knack for finding the neon orange squeeky toy in the middle of the night. I think he leaves it right in front of the bathroom door just to spite me. It’s the loudest toy in the house, and I manage to step on it every night.)
All jokes aside, we love our dogs around here. If it means stepping on an occasional toy, then I’ll take it. I also happen to love breakfast food. Maybe it’s the fact that I’m hungry when I wake up. Or maybe it’s because I enjoy baking. But breakfast food has always been a favorite around our house. In fact, a good waffle iron was one of the few things that I requested on our wedding registry.
Truthfully, I don’t wake up and make these Fluffy Buttermilk Waffles as often as I’d like. Usually we just go with cereal or our Greek yogurt + granola. But on weekends or when company is in town, that’s when I pull out the waffle iron! And who says you can’t have buttermilk waffles for dinner?
A few months ago, I posted these Liege Waffles. Waffles are a thing of beauty over in Belgium. At any given time, there are no less than 237 street vendors selling waffles covered with all sorts of decadent toppings. Unlike the Belgian version that includes pearl sugar in the batter, these Fluffy Buttermilk Waffles are more like traditional diner-style waffles. They’re the waffles I grew up eating on Sunday mornings when I was a kid. They’re delicious!
99% of the time, I opt for the classic maple syrup (the real stuff!) and a bit of butter on my waffles. However, sometimes the fresh fruit + whipped cream version calls to me. What about you? What is your favorite waffle topping? And do you have any misshapen dog toys in your house?
Fluffy Buttermilk Waffles
For the Waffles
- Using a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda until well combined. Set bowl aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, vegetable oil, sour cream, egg yolks and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients; gently stir until well combined, but do not overmix.
- Using a hand mixer, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the batter. Do not overmix.
- Spray a waffle iron with non-stick spray and preheat iron.
- Spoon batter into waffle maker, taking care not to overfill.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until done.
- Serve immediately or place waffles in a 300°F oven for up to 15 minutes while other waffles bake.
- Serve with fresh berries, whipped cream, butter and maple syrup.