These BBQ Split Chicken Breasts are marinated overnight and then brushed with a barbecue basting sauce while on the grill. They are tender, juicy and full of summer flavor!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
Where has this summer gone? I feel like I spent hours staring at the snow last winter and wishing that Old Man Winter would head back to his home. Then summer finally arrived, and now it’s already mid-September. I’m just a little bit surprised at how fast these past months have flown by! Am I the only one?
I guess I can’t complain too much because my wife and I have certainly made the most of this summer! A couple of months ago, we went down to Nashville, TN to visit my sister and her family (including our brand new niece, Blakely). While we were there, my sis took us out to a restaurant in a small town about 30 minutes outside of Nashville. When I say small town, I mean small town. I don’t recall any stoplights, and the entire town was about 2 blocks long. But what makes this town awesome is they had a full replica of The General Lee as well as Boss Hogg’s patrol car from The Dukes of Hazzard. Did anyone else watch that show? I loved that show when I was a kid, and I always imagined that I would be best friends with Bo and Luke Duke. (And I may or may not have had a teenage crush on Daisy Duke…just sayin’)
Anyhoo, this town also had an awesome little restaurant that was half-country store and half-restaurant. They served down home Southern food, and there was a country band up on a small stage playing while we ate. (It is Nashville, after all…you knew country music had to work it’s way in somehow!)
My wife ordered some delicious fried chicken, and I opted for grilled barbecue chicken. Needless to say, our food was amazing! I was recently thinking back to our trip to Tennessee, and I decided I needed some delicious BBQ chicken. And so these BBQ Split Chicken Breasts were born. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
BBQ Split Chicken Breasts
- 2 pounds split chicken breasts bone-in and skin-on
For the Marinade
For the Marinade
- Combine all of the Marinade ingredients in a medium bowl, and whisk together until well mixed.
- Place Marinade in a large re-sealable plastic bag. (If necessary, split the marinade and chicken into two bags.) Add the split chicken breasts and squeeze any air out of the bag; refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
For the BBQ Basting Sauce
- Combine all of the BBQ Basting Sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk together until well mixed; set aside.
For the BBQ Chicken
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, remove the chicken from the marinade and shake off any excess liquid.
- Place the split chicken breasts on the grill bone side down, and cook for 13-15 minutes.
- Flip chicken breasts and cook skin side down for 5-7 more minutes.
- Flip chicken breasts over and brush generously with the BBQ Basting Sauce. (Discard any remaining Basting Sauce.)
- Continue cooking bone side down for another 5-7 minutes, or until internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.