These Stuffed Pretzel Bites are filled with smoked cheddar cheese – serve ’em up with this Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce for a real gameday treat!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
I’m a pretty big sports fan. By pretty big sports fan, I really mean a die-hard, crazy, live-for-Saturdays-and-Sundays kind of sports fan. And like any true sports fan, I love a good gameday appetizer. I’ve been loving the pretzel craze that has swept the country lately, and the other day I decided the time had come to make some Stuffed Pretzel Bites as a tasty gameday treat. I added some shredded smoked cheddar cheese and then just sealed the little bites up. Ummm…woah! These little bite-size nuggets are totally delicious!! And to make it even better, I whipped up a quick Homemade Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce using Colman’s Mustard. These tasty treats have quickly raced to the top of my all-time favorite appetizer list! And the best part? They’re surprisingly very easy to make.
Several weeks ago, I entered a mystery ingredient contest. The rules were pretty simple. A mystery ingredient would be mailed to me, and I then had to create a recipe using that ingredient. I was admittedly a bit nervous about participating in this one. What if I opened the box and the ingredient was something wild and crazy? What if I had no idea what to do with it? As it turns out, I didn’t have to worry about that. I opened up the mystery box to find…Colman’s Mustard!
I immediately knew that pretzels had to be involved somehow. After all, pretzels and mustard just go so darned well together. After a bit of experimenting in the kitchen, I ended up using some of the dry mustard in the actual dough to boost the flavor. And I also whipped up an easy honey mustard dipping sauce using some of the same Colman’s Dry Mustard. These Stuffed Pretzel Bites are not only easy to make, but they’re also super tasty. Pretty much a win-win if you ask me!
Disclaimer: Colman’s Mustard supplied the mustard to me at no cost, but the recipe and opinions are entirely my own.
Stuffed Pretzel Bites + Homemade Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
For the Pretzel Dough
For the Soaker
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 Tbsp baking soda
For the Pretzels
- Coarse salt
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup smoked cheddar cheese shredded
- Using a countertop mixer with the dough hook attached, combined all of the dough ingredients (flour, salt, brown sugar, Colman’s dry mustard, yeast, and water). Mix on medium speed for 6 minutes.
- Transfer dough to an oiled bowl. Cover and place in a warm (85°F) location for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the soaker by combining the boiling water with the baking soda. Mix until baking soda has fully dissolved, and set aside to cool.
- After 30 minutes, divide the dough into 8 pieces of equal weight. Allow dough to rest uncovered for 5 minutes, then roll each piece of dough into a rope about 18” long. Cut each rope into 4 pieces of equal length. Roll each piece flat with a rolling pin, fill with ½ Tbsp of shredded cheese, and then fold the edges over and pinch together to create the bite.
- Place pretzel bites in the Soaker mixture for 2 minutes. (If the mixture does not cover the top of the bites, then just spoon some of the mixture over the top of each bite.) Transfer the pretzels to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse salt, and allow the pretzels to rest for 10 minutes uncovered.
- Bake at 475°F for 9-10 minutes, or until pretzels are golden brown in color. Remove pretzels from oven and brush with melted butter.
- To make the Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce, combine all of the ingredients (mayonnaise, Colman’s dry mustard, honey, brown sugar, cider vinegar, and cayenne pepper) in a small bowl. Stir vigorously until mixture is smooth.