Looking for a good taco recipe? These Slow Cooker Green Chili Tacos are packed with flavor – and they’re a real crowd pleaser!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
I love a good slow cooker recipe. There’s something quite appealing about the whole ‘set it and forget it’ thing. Load that slow cooker up with all sorts of delicious ingredients, turn it on and walk away. Then you’ve got delicious dinner waiting for you when you get home that evening. Win!
To be fair, this recipe for Slow Cooker Green Chili Tacos isn’t as ‘dump it and forget it’ as some slow cooker recipes. There is a bit of prep work required at the beginning, so this isn’t the ideal recipe for making as you head out the door to work. Instead, this one is good for a weekend day. Or perhaps a day when you’re around the house catching up on chores and whatnot. No matter when you make this one, I can promise that the tacos will taste amazing!
Slow Cooker Green Chili Tacos
This recipe is all about flavor. The cooking sauce for the slow cooker features both poblano peppers and tomatillos…and they get broiled in the oven first. That step (the broiling) adds so much flavor. Seriously. It does take a few extra minutes, but trust me when I say the time is well spent.
And get this – that cooking sauce? It doubles as sauce for serving with these tacos, too! Yup, at the end of the day, you transfer the solids from the slow cooker into a food processor or blender. *Blitz blitz blitz* You’ve got a flavorful sauce to drizzle over the shredded pork tacos. I told you the time at the beginning was well spent!
I personally like to serve these Slow Cooker Green Chili Tacos with corn tortillas. I do love a good flour tortilla, but there’s something about corn tortillas and shredded pork. It is important to cook the corn tortillas first, though.
I’ve seen corn tortillas served straight out of the package, but they taste so much better if you cook them first. And cooking corn tortillas is easy! Simply place a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Once it’s hot, add a corn tortilla and let it cook for 1-2 minutes per side. It will develop more flavor, and the texture will be better, too. Add in that shredded pork and this green chili sauce? Yum!
Truthfully, this Slow Cooker Green Chili Tacos recipe could be used for a variety of meals. In fact, we used some of the leftover shredded pork and sauce and served it on baked potatoes. We even had a tiny bit of shredded pork left after that, and it went into a soup. Next time we make this, I might actually cook two pork shoulders – just for leftovers!
I know we’re heading into summer grilling season here in the northern hemisphere, but a good slow cooker recipe is still quite appreciated on busy summer days. I hope you enjoy these tacos as much as we did!
Did you make this Slow Cooker Green Chili Tacos at home? Leave a comment, or snap a photo and tag me on Instagram (@Spicedblog) – I’d love to see your version!
Slow Cooker Green Chili Pork Tacos
For the Sauce
- 5 poblano peppers
- 2 pounds tomatillos husks removed
- 6 whole garlic cloves peeled
- 2 serrano peppers stems removed and sliced lengthwise
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
For the Sauce
- Roast the poblano peppers by laying them directly on gas stove over flame. Use tongs to rotate peppers often until they are charred on all sides. (Note: This step can also be done on a grill or under a broiler in the oven. Whatever the method, don’t skip this step as it produces a ton of flavor!)
- Transfer charred peppers into a bowl. Cover and let steam for 10 minutes. Hold each pepper under running water and peel. Dry peppers and remove stems and seeds. Place peppers in food processor.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Using medium bowl, add tomatillos, garlic cloves, serrano peppers and vegetable oil; toss until well coated.
- Transfer tomatillo mixture to a sheet pan lined with foil. Broil for 5 minutes, flip and continue broiling for 5 more minutes, or until tomatillos are charred. Transfer mixture (along with any liquid) into food processor; pulse several times until well chopped, but not entirely pureed.
- Pour mixture into a slow cooker.
For the Pork
- Trim any excess fat off pork shoulder. Cut pork into 2” pieces. Using a large bowl, add pork, chili powder, cumin and salt; toss until well combined. Transfer pork into slow cooker.
- Add green chilies and onion to slow cooker; stir until well combined. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until pork is very tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer pork to a cutting board and shred using 2 forks. Cover shredded pork and set aside.
- Transfer any remaining solids from slow cooker into a blender or food processor. Add cilantro and ¼ cup of cooking liquid from the slow cooker. Pulse several times until mixture is smooth.
- Serve the shredded pork with warmed corn tortillas, diced red onions, lime wedges and the sauce (from the step immediately above).
Looking for more tasty taco recipes? Check out these other favorites, too: