This Skinny Asparagus Soup makes for a great low-calorie meal on a chilly day!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
That asparagus tart was not the first recipe I learned to make. That honor has to go to my mother’s chocolate cake…or her banana bread…or her southern-style buttermilk biscuits. But the asparagus tart was the first time I picked a new recipe and tried it out on my own. And it turned out quite well! Of course, I had to google Gruyere cheese to figure out what it was…and then I had to go to a “fancy” grocery store there in Baton Rouge to find it. But that tart came together in the end, and it’s been a staple dinner party food in our house ever since. (In fact, I’m pretty sure I made that tart the first time I cooked dinner for Laura…and she must’ve liked it since she married me!)
So what is your first fancy recipe that you learned to make?
I’ve been on a soup kick lately. I’m sure part of that is because it’s still quite frigid here in upstate New York. So the other day I decided to make soup using asparagus as the base. I didn’t want to add a ton of calories by using heavy cream, so I just stirred in some light sour cream once the soup was done. (After all, I’d rather save those calories for a slice of this Chocolate Chocolate Cake!)
This Skinny Asparagus Soup is seriously one of the easiest recipes ever. You do need an immersion blender, though, as pureeing the sauteed asparagus is a pretty essential step to turning those asparagus stalks into something you eat with a spoon. I chose to save the tips from the asparagus and stir them into the soup at the end…but you could skip that step and just puree the stalks and tips together. And I did add a couple croutons to the top of this soup because, well, croutons. (I might have snacked on a couple croutons dipped in soup while I took these photos.)
Without the croutons, I estimate that this soup clocks in at just about 80 calories a cup. That means I can have a nice big bowl of this Skinny Asparagus Soup…and still have room for dessert! Because that’s how I roll.
Skinny Asparagus Soup
- Cut top 1-1½” off tips of the asparagus; set tips aside for later. Cut remaining asparagus into ½” pieces.
- Using a large stock pot, add olive oil. Place over medium-low heat. Once hot, add onions and garlic. Sauté for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add asparagus pieces and continue cooking for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken stock, salt and pepper; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 18-20 minutes, or until asparagus is very tender.
- Meanwhile, place the asparagus tips in a pan with 1” of water. Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Once cooked, set tips aside.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. Stir in sour cream and asparagus tips.
- Spoon soup into bowls. Before serving, garnish with croutons.