Get the new year started off right with this quick and tasty Healthy Chicken Corn Chowder!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
For us, early January means eating a bit healthier. I used to just ignore this so-called healthy eating thing. I figured it was a fad that would go the way of “Ice Ice Baby” and jeggings for men. But then I met my wife, and she convinced me to go to the gym in the mornings. She also convinced me to make healthier choices when it came to food. One of my biggest
complaints misunderstandings was that healthier foods tasted bland. That’s not the case at all! Introducing this Healthy Chicken Corn Chowder.
I particularly enjoy hearty soups. I mean I enjoy broth-based soups, too…but my favorites are always the thick stews. But the problem is that those thick soups and stews often pack quite the calorie punch. So years ago my wife disappeared into the kitchen one afternoon and came back 30 minutes later with this Healthy Chicken Corn Chowder recipe. I was amazed that such a soup could be so hearty and comforting without being loaded with cream and butter. (Hey, I enjoy cream and butter as much as the next guy…but the post-holiday goal is to watch we eat.)
Did you catch that 30-minute part in there? Yup, this chowder only takes 30 minutes to make. The key is using a rotisserie chicken. Now like all soups, stews and dips, this Healthy Chicken Corn Chowder will absolutely taste better on Day 2. It tastes great on Day 1, but by Day 2 the flavors have melded into a much tastier dish. So we actually like to whip this up after dinner and then bring it out the next day.
And the best part about this Healthy Chicken Corn Chowder? Well, besides the fact that it’s lighter in calories and only takes 30 minutes to make…you can absolutely adapt it to whatever you have in the house. I included a red pepper and a green jalapeno in this version since I happened to have those in the fridge. Got some dried chilies around? Toss ’em in! Or perhaps some carrots or frozen peas? Toss ’em in! Enjoy!
Do you have a go-to healthier soup/stew?
Did Santa bring you one too many desserts over the holidays, too?
Healthy Chicken Corn Chowder
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup white onion diced
- ¼ cup celery diced
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups skim milk
- 2½ cups cooked rotisserie chicken
- 2½ cups corn fresh or frozen
- 1 15-oz can cream style corn
- ½ tsp chipotle chili powder
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp salt
- Using a large stockpot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add onions, celery, garlic, jalapeno and bell pepper; saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring often, until onions begin to soften.
- Add flour; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining ingredients (milk, cooked chicken, corn, cream style corn, chipotle powder, thyme and salt). Bring mixture to a boil and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.