Perfect Party Appetizer: Provence Tartlets!
These Provence Tartlets are an easy party appetizer! These bite-sized pieces of pie dough are topped with a delicious combination of flavors!
We all need a few go-to appetizers for those times when friends stop by unexpected or even those nights when you just want to make a few tapas at home for dinner instead of a big entree. This is my new favorite. It is ready in minutes, everyone loves it, and you can adapt it to your family’s favorite flavors. I call them “provence tartlets” because they have a delicious Tuscan flavor from herbs de provence and fresh basil. I’m warning you, however, that you’ll want to triple this recipe if you have a crowd because they.go.FAST!
They are really a total breeze to make. And ready in minutes. Those are 2 keys to an easy appetizer. The base is flaky pie crust which provides the most delicious texture that I love. It looks like a cracker but when people bite down, you see their eyes get big because it tastes like a mini pizza pie! A creamy cheese mixture keeps them from being dry and then the toppings? Fresh veggies. And more cheese. Amazing.
You start out by baking them pre-cheese. So they look a little something like this.
Then they’ll bake roughly 12 minutes at 375 degrees or until the edges are starting to toast up. Pull it out and top with grated white cheddar (or the cheese of your choice). I look forward to trying blue cheese crumbles sometime soon.
And a few more minutes (full recipe below) and you have the perfect party appetizer!
Tuscan Provence Tartlets
- 1 pastry pie crust
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 tablespoon herbs de provence
- 1½ cups grated sharp white cheddar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 3 small tomatoes roma or vine
- Basil for garnish
- Prepare pie crust and roll out. Use round 2-1/2 to 3 inch round cutter to cut out circles.
- Stir together softened cream cheese, herbs de provence, and 1 cup grated white cheddar. Spread on each pie round.
- In a saucepan, saute spinach with garlic. Remove from heat.
- Top each pie round with spinach and slice of tomato.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes or until toasted.
- Remove and top with extra white cheddar cheese. Return to oven for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted!
- Top with diced basil (for garnish).
Spiced® is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Programs and other affiliate services. This means that spicedblog.com receives a small commission by linking to Amazon.com and other sites at no cost to the readers.
What adorable little tartlets, Courtney! Such a great idea.
Thank you Kristen!!
That looks delicious! How large are they? And don’t the tomato slices make them soggy?
Hi Radhika! They’re about 3 inches across. The tomato slices don’t make them soggy. You could always remove seeds + pat dry tomato slices if you’re concerned about it but I didn’t notice any soggyness.