This easy Grilled Guacamole Flatbread features a crispy flatbread topped with guacamole and grilled shrimp. It’s a fun and tasty grilled recipe!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
If you read Spiced regularly, then you already know that I really get into the seasons. Fall is a great time for apples and pies. Winter is perfect for heavier foods like soups and stews. While I love those seasons, we’re finally rolling into Spring here in upstate New York, and I couldn’t be happier!
Spring means the start of grilling season. Spring means sitting on the back deck with friends. Spring means planting the garden and watching it grow into Summer produce. And what better way to welcome in Spring than with Cinco de Mayo? The bright citrus flavors that are found in many Mexican dishes are perfect for the beginning of warmer weather!
My wife and I spent the weekend preparing the garden and even planting a few rows of seeds. It was so awesome to finally spend a day outside after what seemed like the longest Winter ever. Don’t get me wrong…I enjoy the Winter and I’ll probably be excited for it to come around next year. But right now, I’m ready for some warmer days.
To get into the Cinco de Mayo spirit, I decided to grill some flatbread and top it with fresh guacamole and cilantro-lime shrimp. Not only was this delicious, but it was also quite simple to pull together. My wife and I enjoyed it for lunch while sitting outside (and we might have had a couple mojitos, too). This would also make a great party appetizer for your Cinco de Mayo parties, too!
Grilled Guacamole Flatbread with Cilantro-Lime Shrimp
- 1 batch of Homemade Pizza Dough or 1 package of store-bought dough
- 2-3 tsps olive oil for brushing onto dough
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 medium red onion diced finely
- 1 jalapeno seeds and ribs removed, diced finely
- 2 medium tomatoes diced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro minced
- 2 cloves garlic diced finely
- 1/2 pound large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 Cilantro “Bombs” thawed
- Preheat your grill to about 450-500 degrees.
- While the grill is heating, stretch or roll the dough into a large rectangular shape. Brush one side lightly with 1-2 tsps of olive oil.
- Lay the oiled side down on the grill and cook (with lid down) for 3-4 minutes. Once bottom of the dough is golden brown, lightly brush the top of the dough with another tsp of olive oil. Flip the dough and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until both sides are golden brown. (This step could be shorter or longer depending on the temperature of your grill. Watch dough carefully so it doesn’t burn!)
- Remove the flatbread from the grill and allow to cool.
- Make the guacamole by scooping out avocados and mashing in a small bowl with the juice of 1/2 lime. Once you reach desired consistency (I prefer smooth), just mix in remaining ingredients (salt, onion, jalapeno, tomato, cilantro, and garlic). Stir until well mixed.
- Mix the shrimp with the cilantro bombs (if you don’t have any pre-made bombs, you can simply mix a little bit of minced cilantro with olive oil, salt, and pepper.) Don’t marinate the shrimp as they can become mushy, but instead just coat with cilantro mixture before grilling.
- Grill shrimp for 4-5 minutes, or until pink in color
- Spread the guacamole on the top of the flatbread.
- Top with grilled shrimp.
- Finish with the juice of the remaining 1/2 lime.