Need an easy, but tasty dessert recipe? Put this Orange Crumb Cake on the list! This cake would be great for dessert or a weekend brunch.
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
I don’t know about you, but sometimes I get in the mood to make a stunning dessert. I’m talking about those desserts that have folks ooh’ing and aah’ing when you carry it out of the kitchen. This Charleston Coconut Cake is a good example – it features 6 layers of cake, 5 layers of coconut cream filling and a coconut cream cheese frosting. It’s a showstopper cake for sure! It also takes hours to make.
These Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Stuffed Brownies fall into the same category. There’s a layer of brownies. Then edible cookie dough. Then another layer of brownies. Then a chocolate glaze. Oh, and don’t forget the peanut butter frosting. Amazing dessert, and it will have folks ooh’ing and aah’ing for sure. But it requires 4 different recipes.
While I have absolutely no issue with dessert recipes that require a bit more attention, there are also times when I just need an easy cake. Enter this Orange Crumb Cake.
Orange Crumb Cake
This Orange Crumb Cake is light and delicious…and it literally takes 10 minutes (if that) to mix it up. Come to think of it, it probably takes 10 minutes to make this cake and clean the two bowls. But don’t let that fool you – this cake is still mighty tasty!
I’ve always loved a good crumb topping on cakes, and I suspect this is why coffee cakes will always rank up there among my favorite desserts. For coffee cakes, I always make a quick streusel topping that gets sprinkled on top of the cake before baking. This Orange Crumb Cake also has a crumb topping…but the topping is even easier than my go-to streusel recipe.
For the crumb topping on this cake, you simply reserve ½ cup of the dry ingredients. Then you mix in some cinnamon, cardamom (my secret crumb topping weapon!) and chopped pecans. Crumb topping done!
This Orange Crumb Cake is perfect for those times when you want something sweet, but don’t want to spend a bunch of time baking. I’m thinking this cake would be great for brunch when you have overnight guests in town. Or this cake could also serve as dessert for when you have friends stop by on short notice – remember, this cake takes all of 10 minutes to mix together!
On a side note, this cake does use ½ cup of orange juice. I’m kinda thinking it would be fun to use other liquids next time. What about lemonade? Or perhaps another juice – cranberry juice maybe? Stay tuned…I might just have to try a variation on this cake sometime soon. Either way, I hope you enjoy the orange juice version of this cake as much as we did!
Did you make this Orange Crumb Cake at home? Leave a comment, or snap a photo and tag me on Instagram (@Spicedblog) – I’d love to see your version!
Orange Crumb Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour an 8” square baking pan; set pan aside.
- Using a medium bowl, add sugar, butter and flour; stir until well combined.
- Remove ½ cup of this mixture and place in a separate bowl; set that bowl aside. (Note: This will be used to make the topping later.)
- Add the baking powder, baking soda and salt to the main cake mixture; stir until well combined.
- Add the egg and orange juice; stir until well combined.
- Transfer batter into prepared baking pan.
- Using the reserved cake mixture (from above), add the cinnamon, cardamom and chopped pecans; stir until well combined. Sprinkle this mixture evenly on top of the batter.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out mostly clean.
- Let cake cool in pan for 15 minutes before serving.
Looking for more tasty cake ideas? Check out these other favorites, too: