Loaded with fresh strawberries, this Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream is an easy and delicious summer dessert!
Strawberry Ice Cream is a classic. Sure, it’s not vanilla or chocolate…but it’s still a classic. I mean, it even has a spot in the Neapolitan lineup right alongside its two heavyweight friends. So why is strawberry ice cream so difficult to find? It usually takes me a bit of rummaging around in the ice cream bins at the store to find strawberry. Of course, I can always do the Neapolitan threesome–but sometimes I just want all strawberry. I don’t want to eat around the other two flavors. (I have issues with mixing my ice cream flavors. I was a strange kid.) I just want a bowl of plain strawberry ice cream, darn it!
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
Now that the weather has finally turned warm again, I’ve been craving ice cream like no other. (To be fair, I crave ice cream year-round. The warmer weather just gives me the excuse I need.) Warmer weather also means planting the garden, and I couldn’t be happier about this. However, strawberries are one item that won’t be in our garden this year.
Strawberries actually grow pretty well here in upstate New York. I know this from experience. Sadly, the chipmunks know this, too. After several years of constructing a virtual Fort Knox around our strawberry bed, we pulled out all of our strawberry plants last year. You happy now, Chip and Dale? You win. But the joke is on you since now we grow arugula and jalapenos in that old strawberry bed. Have fun chowing down on those, little guys.
Thanks to Chip and Dale, I had to buy the strawberries for this Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream from the grocery store. They were a little on the tart side, but that actually led to a delicious ice cream. Instead of an overwhelmingly sweet dessert, this version is perfect. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, then may I suggest that you go out and get one. Today. They aren’t terribly expensive, and you’ll be able to use it to create amazing frozen treats all summer long…starting with this Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream! Enjoy!
Did you make this Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream at home? Leave a comment. Or snap a photo and tag me on Instagram (@Spicedblog)!
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
- 4 cups strawberries hulled and sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar divided (see note)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ Tbsp vanilla extract
- Using a food processor or mini-chopper, add the strawberries, 1/3 cup of sugar and lemon juice. Process until strawberries are mostly chopped, but a few larger pieces remain. Set mixture aside.
- Using a medium saucepan, heat the milk until it just begins to simmer. (Tip: Do not let milk boil.)
- Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar, salt and egg yolks in a medium bowl. Gradually pour half of the hot milk into the egg yolk mixture, whisking vigorously the entire time.
- Transfer the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan with the remaining milk. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon (5-6 minutes).
- Remove mixture from the heat and stir in the heavy cream and vanilla extract. Pour the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean container. Stir the strawberry mixture into the bowl until well combined.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic directly to the surface of the mixture. Refrigerate overnight.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (If you prefer a harder ice cream, just freeze the ice cream for several hours before serving.)
Looking for more tasty ice cream recipes? Check out these other favorites, too: