These Grilled Chicken + Red Onion Quesadillas are packed with grilled flavor! We make them at least once a month during the summer.
Quesadillas are one of my top 3 go-to meals. They’re seriously easy to make and I almost always have the necessary ingredients around the kitchen. Necessary ingredients being just cheese and a couple of flour tortillas….after that, I just improvise with whatever leftovers happen to be around at the time.
Whenever my wife travels for work (which isn’t all that often fortunately), it’s a sure bet that I will make quesadillas at least one night. I know what you’re probably thinking now. “This guy has a food blog, and he’s making cheese quesadillas for dinner. What’s up with that?” Well, you know what? Sometimes I’m tired and just want an easy meal. Quesadillas to the rescue!
Sometimes, quesadillas are way more than just an easy way to use leftovers, though. For instance, have you ever tried grilling your quesadilla? If not, then you totally need to give it a shot. The tortilla gets slightly crispy from the grill, and it tastes amazing! These Grilled Chicken + Red Onion Quesadillas are one of my favorite party foods.
The chicken gets marinated in advance, so all that’s really left is to grill the chicken and then the quesadilla. Heck, you could even grill the chicken in advance, too. The marinade for the chicken makes all of the difference here…it’s packed with flavor and one of my absolute favorite chicken marinades of all time.
Did you make these quesadillas at home? Leave a comment, or snap a photo and tag me on Instagram (@Spicedblog) – I’d love to see your version!
Grilled Chicken + Red Onion Quesadillas
For the Marinade:
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno seeded and deveined
- ½ Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
For the Quesadilla:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red onion cut into ½” slices
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese grated
- 4 10” flour tortillas
- Salsa for dipping
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a food processor, and process until smooth. Place chicken breasts in a small dish and coat with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Brush the onion slices with olive oil. Place chicken and onions on grill, and grill for 10-12 minutes or until done. Transfer cooked chicken and onions to a cutting board. Dice until ½”-1” pieces.
- Lay out the 4 tortillas and distribute cheese, chicken, and onions evenly. Fold in half and place on grill over medium heat. Grill for 2-3 minutes per side, or until cheese has fully melted. Cut into wedges and serve with salsa.