Chocolate-covered cherries are a classic Valentine’s Day treat. Mix it up and make a batch of these Chocolate Chip Cherry Pancakes this year!
Chocolate covered cherries have long been one of favorite treats. I also love breakfast food. I could easily eat breakfast food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! (I may or may not have actually done this on more than one occasion.) So for Valentine’s Day this year, I decided to combine these two loves and make Chocolate Chip Cherry pancakes. I know many of us have limited time in the morning before rushing off to work…but these pancakes are really simple to make. Or you could be like me and eat them for dinner! (I hope my wife doesn’t read this before Valentine’s Day or my surprise dinner plans will be spoiled…)
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
Tip: Frozen cherries work great in this recipe, but make sure they are thawed and pitted before chopping them up for the pancakes. We often pick up extra local produce when its in season and then freeze it in smaller bags for use throughout the year. (The cherries I used in this recipe were picked last summer at a farm about 45 minutes from where we live.) When possible, always purchase local ingredients…especially when you can get them directly from the farm!
Chocolate Chip Cherry Pancakes
- Add dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda) to medium-sized bowl.
- Separately, whisk together the buttermilk, milk, egg, and vanilla.
- Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Add chocolate chips and cherries and fold into batter gently.
- Heat skillet or griddle on medium-high heat and brush with butter.
- Spoon about 1/4-1/3 cup of batter onto skillet.
- Once bubbles start to appear on top of pancakes (2-3 minutes), carefully flip the pancake and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add more butter to skillet and repeat as needed.
- Store cooked pancakes in a warm (250 degree) oven so that you can serve all pancakes hot at the same time.