Loaded with cheddar cheese and fresh corn, this Cheesy Skillet Cornbread is a great side dish for late summer or fall meals!
This Cheesy Skillet Cornbread post is sponsored by Cabot Creamery, but the recipe and opinions are entirely my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Spiced!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
If you love cornbread recipes, then add this one to your list! This isn’t your run-of-the-mill cornbread. For starters, it’s got a couple ears of fresh corn kernels mixed directly into the batter. And it’s got 1½ cups of shredded cheddar cheese in there, too. Add in the crispy, buttery edges that come with baking this cornbread in a cast iron skillet, and you’re in for a real treat!
This Cheesy Skillet Cornbread is one of those recipes that crosses seasons. A big wedge of this cornbread is fantastic with classic fall comfort food like soups, stews and chili. However, this cornbread also pairs well with summer favorites like bbq ribs, pulled pork and smoked brisket. It’s versatile!
Cheesy Skillet Cornbread
The flavor of this cornbread is off the charts, too! I added a bit of all-purpose flour along with the yellow cornmeal to soften up the texture a bit. I also used a tablespoon of sugar in there, too – this isn’t an overly sweet cornbread, but the sugar helps balance the other savory ingredients.
For liquid, I opted for a bit of melted butter (because butter makes everything better!), one large egg and a cup of buttermilk. Whenever I bake cornbread, I always recommend buttermilk – the extra flavor truly is noticeable!
This cornbread would be delicious as is, but I took this recipe a step further and added a generous amount of shredded Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar Cheese. As the cornbread bakes in the oven, the cheese melts into the bread. The first thing you’ll notice is that your kitchen will smell amazing as this cornbread is baking. Then once it comes out of the oven? Holy cow! The taste is out of this world!
When it comes to cheese in our house, we are Cabot fans through and through. I always keep a variety of Cabot cheddars in the fridge both for snacking and baking. Handy tip: an 8oz. bar of cheddar cheese will produce ~2 cups of shredded cheese. This recipe calls for 1½ cups of cheese. The other ½ cup? It went into the fridge where it will be used for cheesy scrambled eggs tomorrow morning!
As noted in this Cheddar Cheese Crackers post from last month, we recently moved from upstate New York down to Asheville, North Carolina. Cabot’s cheeses are made in New York and Vermont, so I never had any trouble finding any of their different flavors there in New York.
I was worried about what I would find in North Carolina, though. Their horseradish cheddar is fantastic in scrambled eggs – but would it be available down here? It is! We had no trouble restocking our fridge with Cabot cheeses, butter and yogurt after the move. Just check out their product finder to see what Cabot products are available in your area!
I went with Cabot’s Seriously Sharp Cheddar Cheese for this cornbread – Seriously Sharp is one of Cabot’s flagship cheddars. It’s fantastic! If you can’t find Seriously Sharp, any of Cabot’s other cheddar cheeses could be used in this recipe instead. In fact, a blend might be fun – ½ sharp cheddar and ½ habanero cheddar? It would be great if you like spicy foods! Or I might try using some of that horseradish cheddar next time. The options are endless here!
This cast iron skillet cornbread is perfect for late summer when fresh corn is available. I used the kernels from 2 ears of corn in this cornbread, and it was a fun addition. (If fresh corn isn’t available, you can use canned or frozen corn instead.)
If you’re hunting for a fantastic late summer or fall side dish, then put this Cheesy Skillet Cornbread on the menu! It’s easy to mix up the batter, and the taste is fantastic. Happy baking!
Cheesy Skillet Cornbread
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1½ cups shredded Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar Cheese divided
- 1 4-oz. can diced green chilies, drained
- ¼ diced white onions
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter melted, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cups fresh corn sliced off of cob (~2 ears)
- Place a 10” cast-iron pan in oven; preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a large bowl, add the dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, garlic powder and salt); whisk together until well combined.
- Add 1 cup of shredded cheese, green chilies, white onions, green onions, buttermilk, 3 Tbsp of melted butter, egg and corn; stir until just combined.
- Remove hot skillet from oven and add remaining 1 Tbsp of melted butter; brush butter around bottom and sides of skillet.
- Pour batter into skillet. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese on top.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes, or until top of cornbread is golden brown in color and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out mostly clean.
- Remove skillet from oven and let cornbread cool slightly before serving. (Note: Serving the cornbread in the skillet helps keep it warm – just make sure to place skillet on a hot pad before placing it on the table!)
Looking for more cheesy recipes? Check out these other favorites, too: