Mix up dinner a bit with these tasty BBQ Chicken Pinwheels!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
Now thanks to the 692 cable channels we get, I can pretty much always find my favorite sports. And if that doesn’t work, there’s always the internet. Now I can watch every.last.second of Trampoline. Haha…kidding.
Did you guys play sports growing up? I played soccer and baseball as a kid, but I didn’t particularly enjoy either one. I was more interested in building Christmas tree forts. I played JV football, too. I actually enjoyed that one. But when we moved to North Carolina, my new school was much bigger, and I was afraid to go out for the football team. But I did go out for the track team.
I don’t run. It’s just not my thing. No offense to those of you who wake up and take a 10-mile jog for fun. Much respect! It’s just not my thing. So how exactly did I end up on the track team? Because it was the track and field team.
I actually pole vaulted in high school. I was one of those crazy guys who took off running with a 12′ pole in my hand in an attempt to fling myself over a crossbar. And it was awesome! Some of my best friends in high school vaulted, and that’s how I got involved. I wasn’t very good at the sport, but I did have fun. And I improved over time. In the end, that’s all that matters, right?
But back to the Rio Olympics. We spent Saturday watching soccer and Sunday watching gymnastics. (Can you guess which one I picked and which one Laura picked?) I wanted to whip up something fun for dinner this weekend. I was tempted to go with a pizza since eating pizza + watching sports on tv = win. But I went a different direction and made these BBQ Chicken Pinwheels. These bad boys are packed with BBQ flavor, and the best part is they are handheld. When watching sports, handheld food is a requirement!
For these BBQ Chicken Pinwheels, I filled several Flatout flatbreads with BBQ chicken and shredded cheese. Then I just rolled ’em up, sliced ’em and baked ’em until they were nice and melty. As you guys know, we love Flatout flatbreads around here, and we always keep several packs in the pantry. I must admit that these baked pinwheels are a new favorite, too. We served these with a side salad using lettuce from our garden, and it was a delicious meal.
Before wrapping up today’s post, I have to note that I’ve got nothing against synchronized swimming. I curl in the winter, and curling competes for one of the oddest sports in the Winter Olympics. Enjoy these BBQ Chicken Pinwheels!
BBQ Chicken Pinwheels
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Using a large skillet, add chicken breasts, broth and enough water to cover chicken. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and shred using 2 forks; set shredded chicken aside.
- Place olive oil and onions in skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until onions begin to soften. Add shredded chicken, barbecue sauce, cumin and paprika; stir and continue cooking for 2-3 more minutes.
- Divide BBQ chicken mixture between 4 flatbreads. Sprinkle shredded cheddar and gouda on top.
- Roll up each flatbread lengthwise. Slice each roll into 1” slices and place cut-side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 375°F for 14-16 minutes, or until flatbreads are slightly golden in color.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and then sprinkle pinwheels with fresh cilantro before serving.
This BBQ Chicken Pinwheels post was sponsored by Flatout Flatbread, but the recipe and opinions are entirely my own.
Thank you for supporting the brands that support Spiced!