These Steamed Mussels in Tomato & Garlic Broth are
a quick and easy weeknight meal!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
These Steamed Mussels with Tomato & Garlic Broth are a seriously easy (and gourmet) weeknight meal. You just basically whip up a delicious tomato broth in a deep frying pan, add the mussels and let them steam for about 10 minutes. Serve with a piece of crusty French bread, and you’ve got a restaurant-style meal in less than 30 minutes! One of the keys here is to use mussels that have already been cleaned. (My wife typically uses frozen, cleaned mussels.) If you’ve ever cleaned mussels, then you know it can take a bit of time. Oh, and another bonus that makes this recipe great for weeknights? It’s a one-pot meal. That means clean-up is a cinch, too!
Because this recipe is so easy (and nearly fool-proof), it would make a great meal to serve for a special occasion. Maybe for Valentine’s Day? Just sayin’. These steamed mussels can easily be served just as they are, but they also go great over angel hair pasta. Either way, make sure to have a big loaf of crusty French or Italian bread on hand to soak up all of the delicious leftover broth!
Steamed Mussels with Tomato & Garlic Broth
- In a large fry pan with lid, add the olive oil and onions; cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until onions begin to turn soft and slightly translucent.
- Add garlic and continue cooking over medium-low heat for another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes (undrained) and red pepper flakes. Stir and heat over medium heat until simmering. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add the mussels; stir and cover pan. Cook for 5-6 minutes, gently shaking pan every 1-2 minutes. Do not remove lid during this stage as it will prevent the mussels from steaming. (Note: This would be a good time to begin cooking the angel hair pasta in boiling water.)
- After 5-6 minutes, open lid and remove those mussels which have already opened. Place lid back on pan and continue cooking for 2-3 more minutes. Remove mussels which have opened; discard any that have not opened yet.
- Place mussels over angel hair pasta and top with several generous ladles of the tomato-garlic broth. Garnish with chopped basil and shaved Parmesan cheese. Serve with a large piece of French or Italian bread.