Mix up pizza night with this Spinach Ricotta Pizza! Using ricotta cheese for “sauce,” this pizza is extra creamy…and extra delicious!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
Laura and I have been making our own pizza dough for years – in fact, I’d say it’s one of those recipes that ranks among our “household specialties.” We all have recipes like that, right? Those go-to recipes that you (almost) know by heart. The ones you could make again and again without ever getting sick of ’em. For us, pizza dough is one of those recipes.
As Robbie has gotten older (and discovered his own love for pizza), I’ve gotten to where I make an extra half batch of pizza dough every time we have a pizza night. I start his earlier, and he eats a couple slices of his pizza while Laura and I make our pizza. It’s a production, but again…I love it. I’ll do anything for pizza!
Spinach Ricotta Pizza
As I was making this Spinach Ricotta Pizza, Robbie was sitting at the table watching me put the toppings on our pizza.
Robbie: “But Dad, that isn’t a pizza.”
Me: “What do you mean? Of course it’s a pizza.”
Robbie: “But you didn’t put any sauce on it.”
He makes a good point. This pizza is different from a traditional pizza, but it’s still delicious! Instead of a classic tomato-based pizza sauce, the base of this pizza is a seasoned ricotta cheese mixture. Ricotta cheese, minced garlic, Italian herbs. The result is a creamy and delicious pizza! I also added chopped spinach and sliced red onions on top for a boost of flavor.
As Laura and I were sitting in the basement eating this pizza (and binging on The Last Kingdom on Netflix), she commented that this pizza reminded her of stuffed shells…just in pizza form. She’s kinda right! The flavors are all there, just in pizza form. In fact, next time we make this pizza, I could see serving it with marinara sauce on the side for dipping. (Stuffed shells typically call for marinara sauce in addition to the ricotta filling.)
If you’re looking to mix up pizza night in your house, give this Spinach Ricotta Pizza a try. It’s a delicious combination of flavors, and we certainly plan on making this one again soon! Cheers!
Did you make this Spinach Ricotta Pizza at home? Leave a comment, or snap a photo and tag me on Instagram (@Spicedblog) – I’d love to see your version!
Spinach Ricotta Pizza
- Preheat oven to 460°F.
- Roll pizza dough into a 15-16” round circle. Place dough on a piece of parchment paper.
- In a small dish, combine the olive oil, 2 tsp Italian seasonings, salt and garlic powder. Brush this mixture around the outer 1” of the dough. (This will become the crust for the pizza.)
- Using a small bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, remaining 1 tsp Italian seasonings and minced garlic. Using an offset spatula, spread the ricotta mixture evenly on top of pizza dough.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly on top of ricotta.
- Place thawed spinach in a colander and press firmly to drain as much liquid as possible. Sprinkle spinach evenly on top of cheeses. (Note: Adjust amount of spinach to your personal preferences. We used ~½ of a 10-oz. package on this version.)
- Finally, spread red onions and grated Parmesan on top.
- Bake at 460°F for 12-13 minutes, or until pizza crust is golden brown in color.
Looking for more tasty pizza recipes? Check out these other favorites, too: