Make pizza night delicious with this Sausage and Peppers Pizza!
The weather has been hot and grilling season has been in full force here lately. As I’ve said before, I think I could grill for 3 meals a day and be a happy camper. Actually, that happened back when I’d tailgate with friends for LSU games. We’d start with bacon and eggs on the grill for breakfast, and the day would only get better from there. But, even though grilling season is officially open, I still have to fire up the oven for occasional pizza nights! (Or sometimes I combine the two and grill the pizza.)
One of my curling buddies recently built an outdoor pizza oven. It took him about a year, but he researched that oven and built something that would rival the pizza oven in any restaurant. (Heck, his version probably beats the pizza ovens in most restaurants!) One side of his oven uses fire bricks while the other side uses a biscotto base. (Biscotto is the traditional base for Italian pizza ovens.) Yeah, like I said, Jon did his research! And now I need to convince Jon to come build a pizza oven in my backyard.
But until that happens, Laura and I have our own pizza routine down to a science. I make the dough and stretch it into a rough round shape. Laura comes in and finishes it off and puts down the sauce. Then I swoop in with the cheese and toppings while Laura brushes the crust with an herbed olive oil. It’s like watching a fine-tuned machine at work! Oh, and we use a good quality pizza stone and pre-heat the oven for at least 30 minutes. That makes a huge difference…at least until I get Jon to come over and build me an oven. Hah!
This past weekend, we decided to mix up our pizza toppings a bit, and we went with a Sausage and Peppers Pizza. I didn’t grow up eating sausage and peppers, but I’ve been a huge fan ever since Laura brought me sausage and peppers for dinner one night when I was working late. But instead of sausage and peppers in sandwich form, we deconstructed it and turned it into Sausage and Peppers Pizza. And it was awesome!
We got this pizza prepped while Robbie was getting ready for bed, then we baked it up once the little guy was asleep. Then Laura and I sat on the couch with our pizza, a beer (or two) and some old episodes of New Girl. (I’m ashamed to admit that we still have episodes dvr’d from last February. Ah, such is the life with a toddler, right?)
Here’s to an awesome pizza-filled week, my friends! Enjoy!
Sausage and Peppers Pizza
- 8 oz. Italian sausage sliced
- 1 batch of pizza dough homemade or store-bought
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 medium green bell pepper cut into rings
- 1 medium red bell pepper cut into rings
- ½ medium white onion sliced
- Preheat oven to 460°F.
- Using a large skillet, brown the Italian sausage on both sides (~6-8 minutes total). Once fully cooked, place sausage on plate and pat dry with paper towels.
- Meanwhile, shape dough into a 16-17” round pizza and place on a piece of parchment paper that has been dusted with cornmeal.
- Using a small dish, combine the olive oil, salt and Italian seasonings. Brush this mixture evenly around the outer 1” of dough.
- Spread the pizza sauce evenly over the interior portion of the dough.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan and mozzarella evenly on top of the sauce.
- Layer the sliced peppers, onions and cooked sausage around the top of the pizza.
- Bake at 460°F for 13-14 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. (Tip: Using a pre-heated pizza stone will yield a much tastier crust!)