Growing up in the South, Red Potato Salad was a way of life in the summer. This delicious red potato salad recipe is still our go-to side dish for summer picnics!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
The funny thing about potato salad is that everyone seems to have a favorite version that they swear by. Some versions are heavy in mayonnaise while others feature mustard and vinegar. Some are topped with freshly chopped herbs while others go the fresh veggie route and include onions, tomatoes, and even green beans. As for me, I’m always willing to try a fresh take on potato salad, but (like most people) I have pretty set ideas as to what makes a great potato salad. Ultimately, regardless of the ingredients and variations, potato salad is quite simply the perfect summer side dish. I know I can’t imagine summer picnics and backyard barbecues without a classic potato salad!
Red Potato Salad
This particular potato salad recipe is more ‘classic’ in nature, although it does include a couple of twists. In particular, I enjoy using baby red potatoes (and I leave the skins on). I also love bacon, so I typically add several slices of cooked bacon to this recipe. And since I grew up in the South, I can’t imagine a potato salad without hard-boiled eggs and a bit of mustard! But the best thing about potato salad is that it can be easily adapted to your own personal preferences. What are your favorite twists on potato salad??
Aside from its deliciousness, potato salad is also great for company because it can be made ahead. In fact, most potato salads are served chilled (although I did have a warm potato salad once, and it wasn’t half-bad…but that’s another story). So the only catch here is waiting until the potato salad is cool before serving. But like many dishes, this potato salad only tastes better after it sits in the fridge overnight. So make a batch of potato salad this weekend, and I suggest serving it with these delicious Buffalo Chicken Burgers, too!
Looking for more tasty potato salad recipes? Check these out!
Red Potato Salad
- 7 medium red potatoes scrubbed and cut into 3/4-1 inch pieces
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1½ Tbsp brown mustard
- 1½ Tbsp white vinegar
- ¾ tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 celery stalks thinly sliced
- ¾ cup onion diced
- 4 hard-boiled eggs coarsely chopped
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- freshly chopped chives garnish (optional)
- Place potato chunks in medium saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking for 8-10 more minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain potatoes and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper, celery, onion, eggs, and bacon. Mix until well combined. Add potatoes and stir until coated.
- Chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Garnish with chives prior to serving (optional).