Smoky Whiskey BBQ Burger
Looking for a fun way to mix things up on the grill? Add some whiskey to your burger! That’s right. Whiskey! This Smoky Whiskey BBQ Burger makes for a tasty grilled meal.
Looking for a fun way to mix things up on the grill? Add some whiskey to your burger! That’s right. Whiskey. The unique flavor adds a twist to a backyard classic!
This Smoky Whiskey BBQ Burger is all about the toppings…in fact, that’s where the whiskey comes in. This burger is piled high with caramelized onions, and the whiskey gets added to the pan with the onions while they’re cooking. (Take care to remove the onions from the heat and let the caramelized onions cool slightly before adding the whiskey!)
This distinctive burger packs loads of flavor, and it’s perfect for your 4th of July cookout! Happy Grilling!
Did you make this burger at home? Leave a comment, or snap a photo and tag me on Instagram (@Spicedblog) – I’d love to see your version!
Smoky Whiskey BBQ Burger
- 1 medium Onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Whiskey
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1 jalapeño ribs and seeds removed and remainder diced
- 1 large egg
- 8-10 crackers Saltine Crackers crumbled
- 6 ounces Gouda Cheese smoked, coarsely chopped into about 12-16 pieces
- 8 slices Bacon cooked, for topping
- Place onions, butter, and sugar in a medium-sized fry pan on low heat. Stir occasionally. (Tip: If you hear the onions begin to sizzle, turn the heat down.) Cook until soft and translucent in color (approx. 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, place the ground beef, minced garlic, diced jalapeno, egg, and crumbled saltine crackers in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Gently stir ingredients until incorporated. Divide the hamburger mixture into 4 equal-sized portions. Using two hands, gently flatten one portion and then top with 1½ ounces smoked Gouda (about 3-4 small cubes). Carefully shape the mixture into a patty about ¾-1” thick.
- Repeat with remaining portions of hamburger mixture. (Tip: One of the keys to a delicious burger is to work the meat as little as possible when making the burgers. The more you handle the meat, the tougher your burger will be.)
- Using your thumb, make a small indention in the middle of each burger. This will yield a perfectly-shaped burger as it grills.
- Place the burgers on a grill over medium heat. Cook 3-5 minutes per side, depending on your preference. (Tip: Flip the burgers only once, and resist the urge to use your grill spatula as a press!)
- Once the burgers are almost done, transfer the onions from the fry pan into a small bowl. Add the whiskey and stir to incorporate.
- Build the burgers, topping with BBQ sauce, whiskey onions, and bacon.
Looking for more tasty burger recipes? Check out these other favorites, too:
Spiced® is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Programs and other affiliate services. This means that spicedblog.com receives a small commission by linking to Amazon.com and other sites at no cost to the readers.
Whoo hoo! Welcome aboard! Headed over to grab this recipe right now. Yum!!
Thanks, Kate! I appreciate your help with this!