This Smoked Salmon & Chipotle Cream Cheese Spread was inspired by a dip at one of our favorite Atlanta restaurants. It’s delicious and great for parties!
If you regularly read Spiced, then you know that my wife and I live in upstate New York. We love it up here. The summers are great and the leaves are gorgeous in the fall…not to mention the apple picking in the fall, too! Winters? Eh. But the rest of the year makes up for those.
We moved up here a couple years ago from Atlanta, Georgia. While it was nice to move to a bit smaller city, we really miss the Atlanta restaurant scene. We’ve found a few places up here that we enjoy, but it’s nothing like Atlanta. How can you compete with a place that features literally dozens of restaurants run by former Iron Chef and Top Chef stars?
One of my wife’s favorite restaurants in Atlanta is Two Urban Licks, and we always ordered their Salmon Chips every time we visited. This appetizer featured homemade potato chips loaded with salmon, chipotle cream cheese, capers, and red onions. Needless to say, we miss it!
So last weekend, we decided to try and recreate this dish ourselves. Our version is definitely a bit different that theirs, but its certainly reminiscent…and still quite delicious in my opinion! It’s a relatively simple spread to make, but (like many spreads and dips) it tastes much better if you make it the day before and let the flavors meld in the refrigerator overnight. I suspect this spread will become a go-to appetizer whenever we have company over…its that good!
So if you are ever find yourself near Atlanta (maybe for the Final Four this weekend!), then definitely take a trip to Two Urban Licks. Their food is excellent, and they are one of the only restaurants in the country to serve wine out of casks. It’s worth a visit, but you will absolutely need reservations to get in. And if you do go, then put an extra order of Salmon Chips in for me!
Smoked Salmon & Chipotle Cream Cheese Spread
- 1/4 ” piece of chipotle in adobo start with a small amount and add more depending on your preference
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp red onion chopped
- 6-8 ounces cold smoked salmon chopped
- capers for garnish
- chives for garnish (optional)
- Box of Melba toast see note below
- Place chipotle and cream cheese in a food processor (I use the mini-processor that came with my immersion blender) and blend until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine the Chipotle Cream Cheese, smoked salmon, and red onion and mix by hand until well combined.
- Spread onto a hard cracker or melba toast.
- Garnish each toast with 1-2 capers and chives.