Make your next sandwich epic with this Smoked Brisket Grilled Cheese!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
Back at the end of last summer, my wife and I went down to Philly for a long weekend. She had a business meeting on a Tuesday, so we just made it a longer trip and stayed with some of our best friends who happen to live just outside of Philadelphia. Business trip that leads to hanging out with friends? Score! Neither of us had ever seen downtown Philly, so we took the train in one day to do a little sightseeing. After a morning of wandering the streets, we decided to grab lunch at Reading Terminal Market. I assumed this was a little cafe-style place for lunch. I assumed wrong.
Reading Terminal Market (which is related to Reading Railroad for all of you Monopoly fans) is a collection of semi-permanent shops and restaurants. Imagine dozens of food trucks and specialty food vendors all under the same roof. There are communal picnic tables, so you basically wander off and find whatever kind of food you want and then meet back up to eat together.
Our wives went straight for Thai food, while my buddy and I took their baby and wandered off looking for something tasty. It didn’t take long before we stumbled across a grilled cheese restaurant. Yup, a whole restaurant devoted to grilled cheese sammiches. It was pretty much my heaven!
We both ordered the Smoked Brisket Grilled Cheese sandwich. One bite, and I wanted to go back and order another one. I was good, though, and I stuck to the one sandwich. (After all, I had also spied a place with some of the most amazing doughnuts I’d ever seen…so we had to save room for dessert!)
Of course, it didn’t take long after we got back home for me to pull some smoked brisket out and remake a delicious Smoked Brisket Grilled Cheese here at home. I piled some smoked brisket on top of thick Texas-style pieces of bread. Top that with a mixture of 3 different shredded cheeses. Toast it up in a skillet, and you’ve got one heck of an awesome grilled cheese sandwich! While this version was different than the one we ordered in Philly, it was equally as delicious.
We always keep smoked brisket in the freezer, so this sandwich is pretty easy to pull together. I basically smoke a bunch of brisket each Fall and then freeze it in smaller bags. We then pull it out occasionally throughout the winter. While it may be bitterly cold outside in the dead of winter, the smoked brisket helps remind us of warm summer days. If you don’t happen to have smoked brisket on hand, then just grab some from the store or your favorite BBQ joint. Then turn that brisket into a Smoked Brisket Grilled Cheese. Enjoy!
What’s the craziest topping you’ve ever had on a grilled cheese sandwich?
Smoked Brisket Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices thick-cut bread
- salted butter room temperature
- ½ tsp Italian seasonings
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 4 oz. Gruyere cheese grated
- 4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese grated (I used Cabot's Seriously Sharp Cheddar)
- 4 oz. Monterey Jack cheese grated (I used Cabot's Monterey Jack)
- 12 oz. smoked beef brisket, chopped (see note) ~2 cups
- 4 Tbsp barbecue sauce
- Preheat large griddle or cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat.
- Butter one side of each of the slices of bread. Sprinkle Italian seasonings and garlic powder on top. Place one slice of bread buttered-side down. Layer grated cheeses, beef brisket and barbecue sauce on top of bread. Top with another slice of bread buttered-side out.
- Place sandwiches onto griddle. Cook on medium-low heat for 3-4 minutes, or until bottom slice of bread is golden brown.
- Flip and continue cooking until other side is golden brown and cheese has completely melted.