This Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Dip is a party favorite! It only takes a few minutes to mix, and then the slow cooker does the rest!
So let’s pretend for just a minute here. Pretend it’s first thing in the morning, and you just turned on the local news. You’ve got a cup of steaming coffee in your hand, and you’re ready for the day. That’s when the weatherman (or weatherwoman) says it’s going to be a dark and stormy day. If it’s cold where you live, then let’s pretend it’s a blizzard type of day. If it’s warmer, then we’ll pretend it’s a thunderstorm type of day. Either way, it’s the kind of day where you don’t want to go out. So what do you do?
With a 5-year-old and 2 10-month-old puppies in the house, we rarely have an entire day with nothing to do. However, it’s fun to pretend, right? For me, I would probably turn off the news and make some bread dough. I love baking homemade bread! Then I would make another cup of coffee (preferably Community Coffee’s Coffee & Chicory), and then I’d curl up on the couch with a good book.
My “Books to Read” pile has been steadily growing over the past few years. It turns out that having a kid and 2 puppies is inversely related to having time to read – shocking, I know! However, I have a couple John Grisham books on the list as well as a book by Tom Clavin telling the story of Wyatt Earp and the shootout at the OK Corral (aff. link). And I’ve also been eyeing up Bram Stoker’s Dracula again. I’ve read that one 3 or 4 times now. It might be an older “classic” book, but it’s really good! Oh, and the Sword of Shannara series is calling again, too. I’m a nerd like that.
Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Dip
Turning our attention back to food, I’d probably have something going in the slow cooker. As much as I love to cook and bake, I’d have to say that I’d rather spend a dark and stormy day reading books and playing video games. That’s where the slow cooker comes in. This Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Dip is a delicious option for appetizers – and I may or may not have turned this dip into dinner one night. It’s so creamy and delicious!
With the Super Bowl around the corner, it’s time to focus on the appetizer menu. What are your favorite Super Bowl appetizers? Hot wings? Dips? Sandwiches? All of the above? Yup, I’m an “All of the above” kinda guy. While I do love football, I generally only have a passing interest in the game unless the New Orleans Saints are playing in it. Otherwise, the Super Bowl is a good excuse to eat delicious appetizers. Who’s with me here?
This Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Dip is an easy option for a Super Bowl appetizer. It only takes a couple of hours to make, and then you can serve it right out of the slow cooker. (Just flip the switch from High to Warm when it’s time to serve.) I personally like serving this dip with a mix of pita chips, tortilla chips and baby carrots. The carrots are delicious, and they also make things a bit more healthy, right? Oh, who are we kidding? It’s the Super Bowl. We can go back to our healthy New Year’s resolutions tomorrow!
No matter whether you make this Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Dip for the big game or for yourself on a dark and stormy day (hey, this is a judgement-free zone!), I can promise it’ll be delicious! Enjoy!
Did you make a batch of this Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Dip at home? Leave a comment, or snap a photo and tag me on Instagram (@Spicedblog). I’d love to see your version!
Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 20 oz. frozen spinach
- ½ cup chopped green onions use white and green parts
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded and divided
- 1 14-oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- 8 oz. cream cheese cut into 1” cubes
- sliced baguette chips, crackers, etc., for serving
- Thaw spinach overnight in the refrigerator. (Note: Place the boxes in a bowl as they have a tendency to leak when thawed.) If time doesn’t permit, you can heat the spinach in a microwave for several minutes – just read the instructions on the side of the package.
- Spray a 3- to 5-quart slow cooker with nonstick baking spray.
- Using several paper towels, squeeze excess moisture from the spinach and place in the slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients except for cream cheese (green onions, garlic, lemon juice, Parmesan, sour cream, Monterey Jack cheese, artichokes, salt and paprika).
- Sprinkle cream cheese evenly on top of other ingredients.
- Cook on HIGH for 2 hours. Stir mixture until well combined.
- Reduce heat to WARM for serving.
Looking for more tasty Super Bowl dip recipes? Check out these other favorites, too: