Looking for a delicious and unique pizza topping? Try some spuds!
This Roasted Potato, Bacon and Onion Pizza is the perfect comfort food on a cold night!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
Roasted Potato, Bacon and Onion Pizza
I’ve had a potato pizza before, but this was my first time attempting one at home. We usually go with pepperoni and jalapenos on our homemade pizza, but we decided to mix it up a bit. After all, that bag of leftover potatoes wasn’t going to just eat itself. So we sliced up several of those potatoes on a mandolin and layered them around the top of a pizza. Some sliced onions and crumbled bacon also went onto that bad boy before it went into the oven. This might not be the most traditional pizza in the world, but I gotta say that this Roasted Potato, Bacon and Onion Pizza turned out quite well!
Since the potatoes were sliced quite thin, the edges and tops crisped up beautifully in the oven. The key to creating these delicious crispy spuds, though, is a mandolin. I guess you could slice the potatoes super thin with a sharp chef’s knife, but a mandolin is the way to go here. Truth be told, we don’t pull our mandolin out all that often, but this is one of those recipes where it is quite handy.
With the Super Bowl coming up in a couple of weeks, you’ve got a bit of time to perfect your homemade pizza recipe. Sure, you can always order take-out pizza for the big game, but good luck timing it right. I heard somewhere that Super Bowl Sunday is the most popular day for pizza delivery (followed closely by New Year’s Eve, the day before Thanksgiving and Halloween). I get it. Pizza is the perfect party food…especially when that party revolves around a football game. But here’s the thing: the rest of the country thinks the same thing. So this year, why not make your own pizza for the big game? Might I suggest starting with this Roasted Potato, Bacon and Onion Pizza?
Did you make this Roasted Potato, Bacon and Onion Pizza at home? Leave a comment, or better yet snap a photo and tag me on Instagram (@Spicedblog). Cheers!
Roasted Potato, Bacon and Onion Pizza
- Pizza dough homemade or storebought
- 2 medium white potatoes
- 5 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 tsp salt divided
- 1 tsp pepper
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2-3 Tbsp roasted garlic finely minced (see note below)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- ½ medium white onion sliced
- ¼ cup green onions chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ Tbsp Italian seasonings
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wash potatoes and slice thinly (~1/8"). Place sliced potatoes in a large bowl; add 2 Tbsp of olive oil and toss until well coated.
- Place potatoes on a foil-lined sheet pan. Sprinkle lightly with ½ tsp of salt and 1 tsp of pepper. Bake at 375°F for 24-26 minutes, or until potatoes begin to turn light golden brown in color. Remove potatoes from oven; set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 460°F.
- Shape pizza dough into a 16”-17” round circle. Place dough on a piece of parchment paper; brush dough with 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese evenly around the pizza, leaving room on the edge for the crust. Next, sprinkle the minced roasted garlic evenly around the pizza and then top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Evenly layer the remaining ingredients (potatoes, bacon, onions and green onions) around the top of the pizza.
- In a small dish, combine the remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil with the remaining ½ tsp of salt and Italian seasonings. Stir until well combined. Brush this mixture evenly over the crust of the pizza.
- Bake at 460°F for 13-14 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
Looking for more delicious pizza recipe ideas? Check out these other favorites, too: