This Pumpkin Bread + Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting is a family favorite! We make it every Autumn, and we (sometimes) share with friends. Enjoy!
I have a confession to make. I didn’t like pumpkin until just a couple of years ago. As a kid, pumpkins were things you carved every Halloween. Sure, we sometimes toasted the pumpkin seeds, but I never understood why people ate pumpkin. I remember wondering why someone would want to eat the stringy stuff that you pull out of the pumpkin before carving it. My sister and mother loved pumpkin pie and pumpkin cheesecake, but I distinctly remember steering clear of the stuff.
Fast forward a few years. I finally broke down and decided I needed to understand the pumpkin craze which takes over every Autumn. I remember my first pumpkin anything was a homemade pumpkin muffin…and it was delicious! Holy cow, why had someone not introduced me to this stuff before!?! (I’m fairly certain my sister had tried, but when you’re a kid, you should never trust your siblings. She also tried to convince me to pay her a quarter to see her toy troll doll collection.) Not only did I love the flavor of pumpkin, but most pumpkin baked goods also include my two favorite spices ever: cinnamon and nutmeg. Needless to say, I’ve been making up for lost time by eating any and every pumpkin baked good that crosses my path!
This pumpkin bread is one of my absolute all-time favorite Autumn baking recipes. This bread works great as muffins, but I think my favorite is in loaf form. (Who am I kidding here? I devour these guys no matter what form they’re in.) And of course, no self-respecting pumpkin muffin or loaf is complete without a tasty, cream cheese frosting! This particular cream cheese frosting features brown sugar because…well, why not? This Pumpkin Bread shows up in our kitchen quite regularly throughout the Fall. We’ve even used these as neighbor and co-worker gifts for the holidays, and everyone always asks for the recipe. And here it is!
Pumpkin Bread + Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
For the Pumpkin Bread
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp nutmeg
- ½ Tbsp salt
- ¾ cup oil
- 4 large eggs
- ⅔ cup water
- 15 oz canned pumpkin 1 can
For the Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
- 12 oz cream cheese softened
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 cups powdered sugar
For the Pumpkin Bread
- Grease and flour a loaf or mini-loaf pans (see note below).
- In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt). Stir until well combined.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients (oil, eggs, water, and pumpkin) and mix until well combined.
- Pour half of the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until fully combined. Repeat with remaining half of wet mixture.
- Pour batter into mini loaf pans or full-sized loaf pan. (See note below)
- Bake at 350°F for approximately 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into middle of cake comes out clean. (The size of the pan you use will change the baking time, so watch the cake carefully.)
For the Frosting
- In the bowl of a countertop mixer with the paddle attached, cream together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy in texture.
- Add the brown sugar, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Mix until fully combined.
- Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, mixing after each addition until fully incorporated.