New Häagen-Dazs Gelato + Homemade Cookie Cup
As regular readers of Spiced have probably figured out by now, I am obsessed with all things Italian. (See yesterday’s post about Parmigiano Reggiano and how my wife and I visited a cheese cave on our honeymoon!) One of my absolute favorite things in Italy was the gelato shops, or gelateria, on nearly every street corner. Seriously, who doesn’t want a gelato every afternoon..and every evening…and every morning?!? While good gelato can be found here in the U.S., it is much more difficult than simply walking to the nearest street corner. So you can imagine my excitement when I heard that Häagen-Dazs is launching a new line of gelato!
I immediately had to try each of the 7 new flavors, and each bite truly reminded me of Italy. Aside from the amazing taste, the flavor choices are incredible: Sea Salt Caramel, Limoncello, Black Cherry Amaretto, Cappuccino, Vanilla Bean, Dark Chocolate Chip, and Stracciatella. After much thought (and many more bites), I think Limoncello is my favorite. It’s so much more than just lemon ice cream–instead, it truly tastes like the lemon liqueur that can be found all over southern Italy. I can already predict that there will be a container of this in our freezer all summer long!
In keeping with the ice cream theme, why not serve a scoop (or two) of gelato in one of these fun sugar cookie cups? Unlike waffle cones, these don’t require any special equipment other than a baking pan and several common ingredients. Give them a shot! The Häagen-Dazs gelato is currently available in select Wal-Marts, and it should be available nationwide in April. What is your favorite flavor of gelato?
Homemade Sugar Cookie Cup
- 3 large egg whites
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour sifted
- ¾ stick unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp water
- granulated sugar for dusting
- In a medium sized bowl, combine egg whites, sugar, and flour until well combined.
- Add butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and water and stir until combined.
- Drop about 1-1.5 Tbsp batter onto cookie sheet. Use a spatula to carefully spread the batter into a circle about 5" wide. (Only bake 2-3 cookies at a time as you will need to move quickly to shape them before they cool and harden.)
- Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes or until cookies begin to turn golden on the edges.
- Working quickly, remove the cookie sheet from the oven and sprinkle a small amount of granulated sugar on top of each cookie. Then use a spatula to flip the cookie onto the base of an upside-down drinking glass and carefully press the edges down lightly around the glass.
- Allow these 2-3 cookies to cool on the glasses while repeating the process with more batter.
- Once cool, carefully lift the cookie off the glass. Repeat process until all batter has been used.
Häagen-Dazs supplied me with samples of gelato, but the opinions and thoughts are entirely my own.
Spiced® is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Programs and other affiliate services. This means that spicedblog.com receives a small commission by linking to Amazon.com and other sites at no cost to the readers.
Whoa…..seven new flavors? Yeah, I think I’ll be taking a trip to Walmart today to see what’s available in this area. I love gelato and would pick it any day over cookies, cakes, candy, etc…. That Dark Chocolate Chip is taunting me, but I’m a serious caramel fan, so it will be hard to pick. Who am I kidding? I’d buy them both ~ and the lemon too!!!
Gelato might be one of my favorite frozen desserts. And if you are a fan of Amaretto, then don’t forget about the Black Cherry Amaretto!