This Margarita Grilled Chicken features a marinade made from your favorite margarita recipe. This is a great recipe to serve on the back deck during the summer…with a batch of homemade margaritas, of course!
Is there anything better than sitting on the back deck enjoying a warm summer evening? Well, actually, there is. It’s sitting on the back deck with a cold margarita in one hand. No wait, one more. It’s sitting on the back deck with a cold margarita in one hand and a plate full of Margarita Grilled Chicken in the other!
How do you prefer your margaritas? Are you a frozen kind of margarita person? Or do you opt for the on-the-rocks version? Personally, I almost always go on-the-rocks when it comes to margaritas. There’s something about the frozen version that gives me brain-freeze. But either way, I need a lot of salt on the rim.
A well-salted rim is the best part of a delicious margarita! Now that I think about it, that salted rim is a bit odd, isn’t it? I mean, what other common food/drink features a thick layer of salt? It reminds me of those salt licks that horses have out in the pastures! But you know, I’m ok with it. I love a good salt lick. I just prefer mine on the rim of a margarita rather than in the pasture.
I almost always marinate chicken before putting it on the grill. Sure, it takes a couple minutes to make the marinade. Sure, you have to plan ahead a bit. But the results are totally worth the minimal amount of additional effort! Say goodbye to boring, dry grilled chicken. Say hello to one of the best summer meals ever!
Just like a classic margarita, this marinade features plenty of lime juice and tequila. There’s a hint of agave syrup in there, and I also added some traditional marinade ingredients like garlic and cilantro for a boost of flavor. The result is a fun, grilled recipe that is perfect to serve to company on the back deck…just make sure to save enough tequila for the margaritas!
Margarita Grilled Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup tequila
- ¾ cup lime juice divided (approximately 6-8 limes total)
- ¼ cup water
- 2 Tbsp agave syrup see note below
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pierce each chicken breast several times with a fork. Place the chicken in a large glass baking dish or re-sealable plastic bag.
- In a medium bowl, combine the tequila, ½ cup of lime juice, water and agave; stir well and set aside.
- Using an immersion blender or small food processor, blend the remaining ¼ cup of lime juice, garlic cloves, cilantro, salt, and pepper until smooth. Transfer the cilantro puree to the bowl with the tequila; stir until well combined.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken breasts. Cover and place in refrigerator overnight (minimum 6 hours).
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium heat. Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade and discard excess marinade.
- Grill chicken until done, flipping only once. (This should take approximately 6-7 minutes per side.)