Featuring a blueberry almond crust topped with a light lemon cream,
these Lemon Blueberry Almond Bites make for a great summer dessert!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
Speaking of time flying, did you realize that 2015 is the year that Marty McFly arrives in the future. In Back to the Future II, Marty departs 1985 and is set to arrive 30 years in the future. Well that just so happens to be this year. To be more specific, he will arrive on October 21, 2015. That means we have about 2 months left to invent a flying Delorean and hoverboards. On a side note, the movie also predicted that 2015 would bring photo-taking drones (done!). It also predicted that we could watch multiple channels at once (done!) and purchase items as well as open doors with just a thumbprint (done!).
But let’s come back to the present. We’ve still got a bit of summer left here in upstate New York, and I intend to use that sunshine wisely. My in-laws were in town a couple of weeks ago, and we hit up a local minor-league baseball game one night and then headed over to Saratoga the next day to catch some horse racing. Oh and a round of mini-golf also showed up in there somewhere. (I finished in a solid last place. *shakes fist at windmill*) My father-in-law loves spending time outside (who can blame him?), so we packed that weekend full of outdoor adventures.
Lemon Blueberry Almond Bites
My father-in-law also loves almonds. I mean I thought I loved almonds, but that man put me to shame. Maybe next times he comes up, I’ll find him an almond-eating contest to enter. He went through our stash of Blue Diamond almonds in the cupboard, and then he almost broke into the bag of Blueberry Almonds that was sitting on the counter. I did a diving grab to save said bag of Blueberry Almonds. After all, those almonds were destined for bigger things. Like these Lemon Blueberry Almond Bites.
These little bite-sized desserts (ok, maybe 2-bite-sized desserts) are delicious! They feature a blueberry almond crust topped with lemon-vanilla cream. I’m a big fan of Blue Diamond’s savory almonds, but I was a bit intrigued by the blueberry variety. Turns out that blueberries and almonds do indeed go well together. I was impressed with the Blueberry Almonds, and they’re perfect when you just need a little something sweet after lunch.
Until next time, I’ll be off nibbling on these Lemon Blueberry Almond Bites and waiting for my hovercraft and flying car to show up.
Did you make a batch of these Lemon Blueberry Almond Bites? Leave a comment. Or snap a photo and tag me on Instagram (@Spicedblog). Cheers!
Looking for more tasty almond recipes? Check out these other favorites:
Lemon Blueberry Almond Bites
For the Crust
For the Nut Crust
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place the vanilla wafers, almonds and sugar in a food processor or mini-chopper. Pulse until finely ground. Transfer mixture into a medium bowl.
- Stir in the melted butter and then press 1½ Tbsp of mixture into bottom of mini-muffin tins. (Note: A silicone mini-muffin tin or a mini-tart pan with removable bottoms is ideal for this step.)
- Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and set aside to cool.
- Once cool, carefully remove each crust and place on a large plate.
For the Lemon Topping
- Whisk together cream cheese and sugar until well combined; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat heavy cream with lemon juice, vanilla extract and lemon zest until stiff peaks form (~3-5 minutes on high speed of electric mixer).
- Gently fold whipped cream mixture until cream cheese mixture until well blended.
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip, pipe a large dallop of Lemon Topping onto each crust.
- (Optional) Prior to serving, garnish with lemon slices, blueberry and mint.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.