This Honey Ice Cream is a unique and delicious ice cream flavor – top with freshly sliced strawberries for a real summer treat!
As I mentioned earlier this week, I recently had the opportunity to travel to southern Vermont and spend a couple of days at King Arthur Flour’s headquarters. Not only was King Arthur Flour amazing, but I also got to experience Vermont…which is now one of my favorite states! I was due to arrive on early Sunday afternoon, so I spent Sunday morning driving across this beautiful state. The views were amazing, and I totally get why Vermont is nicknamed “The Green Mountain State.” As I drove in and out of picturesque small towns and villages, I was struck by the number of local farms and farmer’s markets. It is clear that the folks in Vermont believe in the importance of locally-sourced food. The farm-to-table movement in Vermont is more than a fad…its a way of life!
During my trip, I got a copy of Tracey Medeiros’ new book, “The Vermont Farm Table Cookbook.” And let me tell you, this book is far more than just a cookbook. Tracey somehow took the entire state of Vermont, complete with its farm-centered way of life, and shrunk it into a single book. In addition to the 150 Vermont-inspired recipes, Tracey includes personal stories and descriptions of dozens of the farms that dot the Vermont landscape. So whether you live near Vermont or on the other side of the world, this book will definitely make you feel like you are driving through the green mountains and valleys, stopping at the numerous roadside markets, and enjoying the best of the local food movement.
I got in the kitchen earlier this week and made the Honey Ice Cream with Fresh Strawberries recipe that Tracey shares in the Desserts section of her book. I was intrigued by combining the sweetness of the honey with the brightness of the strawberries…and so I decided I needed some of this delicious-sounding frozen treat. And it didn’t disappoint! This recipe was well-written and quite easy to make, and I am certain that it will become a summer staple in my household!
Honey Ice Cream with Fresh Strawberries
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- ½ cup Vermont honey
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- Heat the milk in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until it just starts to simmer.
- While the milk is heating, whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Gradually add the hot milk to the egg yolks and whisk to combine. Gently stir in the honey.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats a wooden spoon.
- Add the heavy cream and stir to combine. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean container. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic directly onto the surface of the mixture, and refrigerate overnight.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Scoop the ice cream into bowls and top each serving with 1/3 cup sliced strawberries.
Disclosure: A copy of this book was provided to me at no charge, but all opinions are entirely my own. (Seriously, this book is awesome!)