These Hearty Meat Pies feature pie dough wrapped around shredded potatoes and ground beef. They’re a great comfort food for cold winter days!
The official first day of Winter is December 21. I think someone forgot to tell Old Man Winter that because it’s downright cold here in upstate New York. I’ve seen a few snow flurries, and the wind is the kind that cuts right through however many layers of clothes I have on. So my solution to this problem? Light a fire and make hearty, comfort food for dinner!
These Hearty Meat Pies are one of my favorite comfort food dishes…they’re simple, delicious, and quite filling. The pies are essentially ground beef and potatoes, but I like using Ore Ida’s Potatoes O’Brien in this recipe to provide an easy boost of flavor. (Potatoes O’Brien are similar to diced hash browns, but with additional chunks of onions and peppers.) All together, you’ve got potatoes, ground beef, onions, and peppers…pretty much the perfect equation for a delicious meal on a cold winter night!
Here’s a little secret I discovered not too long ago: always keep a bag of hash browns in the freezer. It doesn’t matter whether you go with cubed or shredded (or Potatoes O’Brien like in this recipe). Hash browns are an easy addition to a variety of different foods. Casseroles with hash browns on top are one option for a quick dinner. Similarly, try adding a cup or two of hash browns to your favorite soup or stew.
I was out running errands at Walmart the other day and grabbed a bag of Ore Ida Potatoes O’Brien. Next thing I knew, I was eating these delicious Hearty Meat Pies for dinner that night. You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to create quick and delicious winter meals!
Hearty Meat Pies with Ground Beef & Potatoes O’Brien
- 16 oz. ground beef
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups frozen Ore Ida Potatoes O'Brien
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups shredded cheese I used a 4-cheese blend
- 2 9 " pie crusts either homemade or storebought
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp Italian seasonings
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- In a large skillet, add the ground beef and Worcestershire sauce. Cook over medium heat until browned (about 8-10 minutes).
- Add frozen hash browns, diced garlic, pepper and salt to the skillet. Stir, cover, and cook for 10-12 more minutes on medium heat, stirring every 2-3 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat. Add shredded cheese and stir until mixture is well combined.
- Roll out pie dough and cut each piece in half to create 4 semi-circular pieces of dough. Place approximately 3/4-1 cup of beef and potato mixture on top of each piece of dough. Brush edges of the dough lightly with water and then fold and press to seal. Using two fingers, crimp the edges to create decorative border. Repeat with remaining pieces of dough.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, Italian seasonings, and coarse salt. Brush the top of each pie with the olive oil mixture.
- Place pies on a parchment-lined sheet pan and bake at 400°F for 26-28 minutes, or until tops of pies are golden brown in color.