Looking to mix up the summer grilling routine? How about some tasty Grilled Salmon Burgers?
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
But this past week, Robbie learned a whole new skill with his cookware. He learned to flip food…and even catch it in the pan on occasion. Seriously, though. He puts his stuffed eggplant or baguette in his little 2″ metal skillet, and then he flips it up into the air. The catching part is still a work in progress, but it’s a start. Heck, I can’t even flip real food…and I use a 9″ skillet! At this rate, the little guy will be making dinner for us before too long…although I suspect we might be looking at a Swiss cheese + eggplant + sausage recipe. I’ll have to work with him on flavor combinations next!
This past week, our grocery store had frozen wild salmon filets on a BOGO sale. That’s a solid deal! One of our favorite salmon recipes is just this simple Herbed Lemon Salmon, and I was planning on making that sometime this week. But then Laura suggested grilling up the salmon instead since it’s summer. She didn’t have to tell me twice! But then I remembered making salmon burgers way back when we lived in Atlanta. And I remembered them being pretty darned tasty. So I dug out the recipe and played around with it a bit…and then that night we had these Grilled Salmon Burgers for dinner. Delicious!
One of the keys to salmon burgers is to only put about half of the salmon filets in the food processor. The other half gets finely chopped, but not processed until smooth. This way, the salmon burgers still have some texture. (I’m big on texture when it comes to food…call me crazy.) Another tip here is hot sauce. Seriously. Hot sauce is a secret ingredient when it comes to salmon burgers. I made one batch with hot sauce, and one batch without…and you can tell a difference! The Grilled Salmon Burgers with the hot sauce had a much better depth of flavor. They weren’t spicy as you might expect (unless you go overboard and add a ton of hot sauce), but the flavor was perfect!
Unfortunately, I recently mowed my backyard so I didn’t have any fresh arugula. (You might recall that our arugula went rogue a few years ago, and now it grows wild all over our backyard. Not kidding one bit.) But I did buy a huge pack of baby arugula from the store, and I topped these Grilled Salmon Burgers with a bit of arugula and a sliced tomato. Nice, fresh summer meal right there!
Have you ever made grilled salmon burgers? More importantly, can you flip your food in a skillet…and still catch it?
Grilled Salmon Burgers
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Cut salmon into ¼” pieces. Put ~⅓ of the salmon into a food processor along with the Dijon mustard and mayonnaise. Process until smooth.
- Add remaining salmon along with the onion and parsley; pulse several times until well combined. (Tip: Do not process until smooth as we did in step 1.)
- Transfer the mixture into a large bowl. Add bread crumbs, lemon juice, hot sauce, salt and pepper; stir until well combined. Shape mixture into 5-6 patties. (Note: The mixture will be wet and somewhat sticky. Wetting your hands with water before shaping each patty will help. Just go with it!)
- Place patties on grill and cook for 4-5 minutes. Flip and continue cooking for 2-3 more minutes, or until fully cooked. (Note: If necessary, take a peek to make sure burgers are fully done…try not to overcook!)
- Serve with arugula, tartar sauce and sliced tomatoes.