Celebrate the arrival of berry season with these Fresh Strawberry Muffins!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
Well I came across a BuzzFeed post recently entitled “What does your favorite breakfast food say about you?” It’s not technically a quiz or a poll, but rather just a list. Fine. I’ll settle for just a list instead.
Here’s the thing about breakfast food. I love it. I could eat breakfast food for 3 meals a day. Bacon and eggs for lunch? Sure! Bagels for dinner? Why not! (In fact, I’ve definitely eaten bagels + cream cheese for dinner after coming in from a late-night curling game. I’m not in the mood to cook up something when it’s that late at night, and a bagel just takes a couple of minutes to toast. Dinner win.) But I’ve always had a special place in my heart for muffins. One of my friends calls me the Muffin Man. I’m not entirely sure that I deserve such a title, but I’ll take it. (There are worse nicknames out there than the Muffin Man…)
But back to this BuzzFeed article. Apparently if you like muffins for breakfast, then you have the best personality. You might even have good hair, too. I can’t speak to the hair part, but I definitely think I have the best personality. (Hah!)
Seriously though, I do love muffins. They are like a blank canvas that you can bend and twist in so many different directions. Blueberry Muffins? A classic! Or we can go heart-healthy with these Oat Bran Muffins. We can even go savory with Spinach Cheddar Cornbread Muffins. Or we can basically just eat dessert for breakfast with these Chocolate Espresso Muffins. See? Muffins are incredibly versatile. They work in so many different settings. Just like my charming personality.
I grabbed some fresh strawberries at the store last week, and I decided to drop a few of ’em into muffins. I took my basic muffin base and added fresh strawberries and a hint of cinnamon. Top those bad boys off with a nice coating of sparkling sugar, and you’ve got one heck of a breakfast right there! Fresh Strawberry Muffins. Truth be told, one of my favorite ways to eat muffins is sliced and toasted again. The edges get just a touch crispy. That right there is breakfast perfection.
So there you go. Are you looking for a way to have the best personality? Start eating more muffins for breakfast…and lunch…and dinner. Cheers!
What is your favorite breakfast food? (And what does it say about you?)
What is your favorite muffin flavor?
For the Muffins
For the Sugar Topping
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1½ Tbsp sanding sugar
- Grease and flour a muffin pan or line with paper liners; set pan aside. (Note: This recipe yields 16 muffins, so you’ll need 2 pans.)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and melted butter.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture; stir until just barely combined. (Note: Take care not to overmix the batter at this stage. The batter may look lumpy.)
- Gently fold the strawberries into the batter until well combined. (Tip: Save some of the strawberries and gently press them into the top of the batter once they are in the muffin cups.)
- Fill each muffin liner just over ½ full. (Tip: Do not overfill or the muffins will overflow as they bake!)
- Bake at 375°F for 24-27 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out mostly clean.
- Let muffins cool for about 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- For the Sugar Topping, brush tops of cooled muffins with the melted butter. Place sanding sugar in a shallow dish and dip tops of muffins into sugar.