Easy Roasted Carrots Recipe
Have extra carrots in the fridge? This Easy Roasted Carrots recipe is a tasty side dish for busy weeknights!
Here at Spiced, the trend towards healthy eating is still in full swing. (It better be since I am heading to Krispy Kreme HQ for a visit later this week…but more on that in a future post!)
So this afternoon I opened the refrigerator and saw that we still had about 1/2 bag of carrots. I decided this was the perfect opportunity to create a dish that was not only healthy, but also allowed me to stay home and not tackle the grocery store mid-day on a weekend. We live in the Northeast, so hitting the grocery store a couple of hours before the Patriots’ playoff game would not be a good idea!
The result was a simple roasted carrots dish that included 1/2 chopped onion and some parsley pesto. This recipe is easily adaptable to what you might have hanging around in your refrigerator/freezer. For instance, I still had some walnuts left over from holiday baking, so I threw those in here as well. (The roasted walnuts were amazing in last week’s Charred Broccoli post!) If you don’t have any pesto around, you can certainly substitute olive oil, chopped parsley, and grated parmesan cheese instead. And better yet, this entire recipe only took about 30 minutes from start to finish! Who said you couldn’t have fun and eat healthy at the same time??
- 8-10 carrots peeled
- ½ onion diced
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- ½ tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup walnuts coarsely chopped
- salt to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- Divide carrots in half lengthwise, and then cut each segment into 1-1½ inch segments.
- Place chopped carrots in a large bowl and add all remaining ingredients (except walnuts).
- Toss until well mixed and spread onto baking sheet. (The sheet should be large enough so that there is only one layer of carrots.)
- Place in a 425 degree oven for about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove, add walnuts, and stir the carrots.
- Place back in oven and continue roasting for another 10-12 minutes.
- Finish with sea salt and a few drops of lemon juice (optional).
So I have to mention that our dogs love carrots. A lot. They waited patiently at my feet the entire time I was in the kitchen, so of course I had to reward them with a couple raw carrots!
Spiced® is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Programs and other affiliate services. This means that spicedblog.com receives a small commission by linking to Amazon.com and other sites at no cost to the readers.
Hello ~ love the photos – you must have your camera – huge different. Also –
great picture of Max!
Found your recipes on Keyingredient.com from people using cookmark button (LOVE!). Tomorrow night I will be making your blackened chicken pesto lasagna (probably add some spinach or kale) and these roasted carrots. Thanks for some simple, yet fun & flavorful recipes!
Wow…thanks so much, Leah! I hope you enjoy those recipes!! 🙂