These Citrus Grilled Salmon Skewers are an easy and delicious way to enjoy dinner on the grill. They’re perfect for everything from backyard parties to tailgating with friends!
Disclosure: This Citrus Grilled Salmon Skewers post is sponsored by Schöfferhofer Grapefruit, but the recipe and opinions are entirely my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Spiced!
We’re smack in the middle of the best time of the year in upstate New York…summer! Truthfully, I love Autumn the most, but summer means grilling, hanging out with friends and outdoor activities. Winters can be long and cold in this part of the world, but summers make up for it. Laura and I are always on the lookout for fun activities with Robbie, and our calendar is seriously booked for 3 weekends out right now. 3 weekends! From air shows to county fairs to local blueberry farms, we stay on the move around here in the summer.
But my favorite summer activity? Hanging out in the backyard with friends while dinner is cooking away on the grill. Several years ago, Laura and I built our own cornhole (aka baggo, bags, sack toss) boards. (This was pre-Robbie…when we had time to tackle projects like building our own cornhole set) During the winter, those boards hang in the shed, but during the summer, they’re out pretty much all the time. This past weekend, we had friends over, and we spent the afternoon playing cornhole while Robbie helped us ‘fetch’ the beanbags. (Sometimes fetching the bean bags meant convincing him to bring them back to us. Hah!)
We’ve discovered that cornhole is way more fun when you’ve got a beer in hand, so we popped open some cold beers for our afternoon games. (Robbie ran around with a cold juice box in hand.) Have you tried Schöfferhofer Grapefruit yet? It’s a blend of authentic German hefeweizen and 100% grapefruit juice. It’s a low-alcohol beverage that’s perfect for sipping on hot summer days! (In fact, The Washington Post recently called it “the perfect summer refresher.”)
Wondering where to pick up Schöfferhofer Grapefruit near you? Check their product finder here! Schöfferhofer Grapefruit is available in 11.2-oz. bottles and cans, 16.9-oz. cans and draft. In fact, if you’re a Disney World fan, you might recognize Schöfferhofer Grapefruit as the grapefruit beer that’s served in the German Pavilion at Epcot Center’s Around the World attraction. I haven’t been to Epcot since I was a kid, but I suspect we’ll be making a trip there within the next few years once Robbie gets a bit older…and a stop by the German Pavilion will definitely be on Dad’s list!
Citrus Grilled Salmon Skewers
After several rounds of cornhole (and chasing Robbie), we settled down for dinner on the back porch. To keep the grapefruit theme going, I decided to grill up a batch of these Citrus Grilled Salmon Skewers. These skewers couldn’t be easier to make. Just cut salmon up into pieces and then brush an easy marinade on top once they go onto the grill. And since salmon grills quickly, these skewers are done in a flash! I served these Citrus Grilled Salmon Skewers over rice along with a tomato-avocado salsa, and let’s just say we didn’t have any leftovers that night. Citrus + grilled salmon is a magical combination!
Speaking of grilling, Schöfferhofer Grapefruit is hosting a sweepstakes to win a komodo-style grill or grilling accessories. Talk about how to win at summer entertaining! Plus, tailgate season is right around the corner, and a komodo-style grill would be an excellent addition to your tailgate lineup. Komodo-style grills can go from low temperature for smoking to medium temperature for grilling to high temperature for cooking pizza. Hop on over right now and enter to win…hey, you never know! (No purchase necessary.)
As we shifted from the backyard to the porch, Robbie saw me pulling out the grill, so he pulled out his own grill. He then proceeded to grill us some hot dogs, corn and a bagel. Hey, they cook bagels over open fire in Montreal, so maybe Robbie’s onto something with the grilled bagel! Of course, he also put his bottle of bubbles on his grill, so maybe I’m giving him too much credit. Once Robbie went to bed, we wrapped up the evening with some board games on the porch. And, of course, there was plenty Schöfferhofer Grapefruit to go around, too! Cheers, friends!
Love salmon? Try some of these other salmon recipes, too!
Citrus Grilled Salmon Skewers
For the Salmon Kabobs
- 12 10” wooden skewers
- 1½-2 lbs salmon filets cut into 1” pieces (If possible, use wild-caught salmon)
- 1 ruby red grapefruit thinly sliced
- vegetable oil for brushing grill grates
For the Marinade
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh grapefruit juice ~½ grapefruit
For Avocado Tomato Salsa
- 1 avocado peeled and diced
- ⅓ cup red onion diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 Tbsp fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- cooked rice
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Soak the wooden skewers in a bowl of water for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat (~375°F).
- Make the salsa topping by combining all of the ingredients (avocado, red onion, tomatoes, grapefruit juice, olive oil, salt and pepper) together in a small bowl; set aside.
- Next, make the marinade by whisking together olive oil, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt, pepper and grapefruit juice; set marinade aside.
- Skewer the salmon and grapefruit slices onto skewers. (Tip: Use two skewers instead of one to make it easier to flip the kabobs on the grill.)
- Brush both sides of skewers generously with the marinade mixture.
- Using vegetable oil (or grill spray), brush the grill grates generously to prevent salmon from sticking.
- Place skewers on grill and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until salmon is opaque and fully cooked.
- Serve kabobs over rice with Avocado Tomato Salsa and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro before serving.