Leftover pie dough? Not a problem! Turn it into these Cinnamon-Sugar Pie Dough Twists!
I’m almost embarrassed to post this recipe here today. This one is so ridiculously easy that it barely even needs a recipe. But these Cinnamon-Sugar Pie Dough Twists are really, really tasty! As we head into the holiday season, you’ll probably find yourself entertaining houseguests and family at least once, right? I’m all about making delicious treats and desserts for friends and family when they come to visit, but sometimes I just get baked out. There it is. I said it. Sometimes I just get tired of baking. That’s when it’s really nice to pull out a recipe like these Cinnamon-Sugar Pie Dough Twists! They’re fun, tasty, and only take a few minutes to make. (Oh, and in case you’re wondering, that baked-out feeling usually doesn’t last too long for me.)
I have fond memories of thee Cinnamon-Sugar Pie Dough Twists from my childhood. The twists are one of my father’s favorite treats, and on special occasions we’d wake up to these delicious treats waiting on the table next to the bowl of cereal. I think cinnamon-sugar could possibly be one of the best creations in the history of mankind. However, if you want to mix it up a bit, try adding a 1/4 tsp of nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, or even cocoa in with the spice mixture. Or I noticed that my friend Marnely just posted a recipe for Autumn Spice Blend on her site…and I bet that blend would be amazing on these pie dough twists! The point here is to get creative and have fun.
Whenever I make pie dough, I usually make an extra batch and then wrap it and freeze it in a disc-shape for later. (Homemade pie dough is really not as hard as you might think! Check out this Pie Dough Tutorial post for some tips.) This little trick has saved me hours of work since I usually have pie dough in the fridge for whatever dessert or project I have up my sleeve at the time! (Of course, you can also use store-bought dough, too.) These little bites are perfect to serve to your company alongside a hot mug of cocoa or coffee…and the best part is they take only minutes to make!
Cinnamon-Sugar Pie Dough Twists
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 batch of pie dough Homemade or store-bought
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup powdered sugar for glaze, optional
- 1½ Tbsp milk for glaze, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon. Mix well and set aside.
- Roll the pie dough into a large rectangle (approximately 8" x 12").
- Brush the top of the dough with the melted butter.
- Sprinkle a generous portion of the cinnamon-sugar mixture on top of the dough (don't forget the edges!)
- Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into strips approximately 3/4"-1" wide.
- Twist each strip into a spiral and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes, or until pie dough is golden brown and crispy.
- If desired, stir together the powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle over the cinnamon-sugar twists. Serve warm!