These Cilantro Lime Grilled Sweet Potatoes are one of our favorite summer recipes!
Wow! What a great weekend we just had up here in New England! The leaves are at their peak colors, and the temperatures are in the mid-upper 60’s. Saturday was loaded with some great college football games, and of course Sunday’s slate of NFL games was fun as well. I mixed the football in with some leaf cleanup (yup, that’s the downside of all those beautiful leaves) and grilling on the back deck.
Cilantro Lime Grilled Sweet Potatoes
Saturday afternoon I made another round of these delicious Buffalo Chicken Burgers along with some Cilantro-Lime Grilled Sweet Potatoes. Grilled sweet potatoes are one of my latest obsessions on the grill! (And in case you’re wondering, sweet potatoes also taste great on the smoker.) This recipe is pretty straight-forward and doesn’t take all that long to make. (The secret is parboiling the potatoes before putting them on the grill.) I know these grilled sweet potatoes will be making a couple more appearances on my grill before the winter snows arrive in a few months!
Can you grill sweet potatoes?
Absolutely! They’re one of our favorite grilling items during the warmer months. However, I’ve found that parboiling the potatoes before putting ’em on the grill is the trick to perfectly grilled sweet potatoes. Parboiling simply means boiling the sweet potatoes for a short period before finishing them on the grill. Ideally you’re looking to be able to pierce the outer portion of the potatoes with a fork while the inner portion stays firm. (i.e. you’re not full-out boiling the sweet potatoes here!) Once the sweet potatoes are parboiled, simply rinse them off and pat dry with paper towels. Then you can slice ’em up and get those bad boys ready for the grill. Say hello to flavor!
Looking for more sweet potato recipes? Check out these other favorites!
Cilantro-Lime Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes scrubbed but not peeled
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- Zest of 1 lime
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- ⅓ cup cilantro finely chopped
- Boil the potatoes until they are fork-tender, approximately 25 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from water and allow them to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine the kosher salt, lime zest, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Mix well. Set aside.
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to cut, slice into 6 wedges per potato. (Anything smaller will burn too fast on the grill!)
- Brush the potato wedges with vegetable oil and place on the grill. Grill until golden in color, about 4-5 minutes. Flip the wedges, and grill for another 4-5 minutes.
- Remove wedges from the grill, sprinkle lightly with lime juice, kosher salt mixture, and chopped cilantro.