These Buffalo Chicken Breadsticks make an excellent football appetizer! Grab a loaf of French bread and top it with spicy buffalo chicken, creamy blue cheese and melty mozzarella!
Robbie is one musical kid. From the Irish drinking songs to the bluegrass station on Pandora to his little piano, that kid loves music. And he loves to dance. (Robbie might look like a spittin’ image of me, but he gets his dance moves from Laura. Trust me. You don’t want to see me dance.) For months, he’s been a huge fan of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Actually, to be more accurate, he’s been a huge fan of the music at the beginning and end of every episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
Speaking of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, here’s a fun fact…even if you don’t have little kids at home! Do you remember the song “Istanbul (Not Constantinople)”? It was originally written in the early 1950’s, but it gained fame when They Might Be Giants covered the song in the early 90’s. The lyrics are quirky and catchy, and they totally get stuck in your head for the rest of the day. (Kinda like Freak Nasty’s “Da Dip”.)
Problem #2: Laura’s coworker who gifted us those DVD’s is Thai. That in and of itself isn’t a problem at all. Until you realize that the Sing-a-long with Barney DVD is in Thai. Yup, that’s right. The DVD has English writing on the cover, so we didn’t think much of it…until that purple dinosaur started singing in Thai. Is this my life now? Listening to Barney sing children’s songs in Thai?
While Robbie was learning how to sing in Thai, Dad was in the kitchen whipping up these Buffalo Chicken Breadsticks. We’re smack in the middle of the NFL playoffs (Who Dat!), and the Super Bowl is just around the corner. This requires delicious football appetizers, and these Buffalo Chicken Breadsticks certainly didn’t disappoint!
Now I’m not against making my own dough for breadsticks, but I totally went the easy way with these Buffalo Chicken Breadsticks. I grabbed a loaf of French bread at the store, and that became the base for this appetizer. Load that bad boy up with delicious toppings like slow cooker buffalo chicken, blue cheese, mozzarella, onions and celery…and you’ve got one epic football appetizer! And the best part of this one is that it makes enough for a crowd. So if you’re planning on having friends over (or if you’re going over to a friend’s place) to watch the games, make up a batch of these Buffalo Chicken Breadsticks! They’re flavorful, fun and perfect for snacking on during the game…or while listening to Robbie sing Barney songs in Thai. Enjoy!
Buffalo Chicken Breadsticks
- 1 loaf French bread sliced lengthwise
- 1 8-oz. package cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 2½ cups buffalo chicken shredded (homemade or store-bought--see note)
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ½ cup red onion thinly sliced
- ¾ cup celery thinly sliced
- ⅔ cup blue cheese crumbled
- buffalo wing sauce
- green onions sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Using a large bowl, add cream cheese and butter; stir until well combined.
- Spread the mixture evenly over both pieces of sliced French bread.
- Spread chicken, cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, onions, celery and blue cheese evenly on top.
- Please loaves on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. (Note: Watch closely to ensure toppings don’t burn!)
- Drizzle with buffalo wing sauce and garnish with sliced green onions before slicing and serving.