This Beer Cheese Dip features several favorite snack-time ingredients: bacon, cheese, beer…and more cheese!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
I love a good beer. Over the past several years, my wife and I have made it a habit of visiting craft breweries and brewpubs wherever we go. Did you know that Vermont is home to 35+ breweries? I didn’t until recently. (I’ve only made it to 10 of them so far.) Or did you know that Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown (yup, the baseball hall of fame Cooperstown) ages their ale in a nearby cave? Another beer tidbit that I’ve picked up recently. And while I really enjoy sipping on a good beer on the weekend, I’ve also grown quite fond of using beer in various foods. One of my favorites is beer bread…but I’ll save that recipe is for another time. With the Super Bowl quickly approaching, dips and appetizers are on my mind…so here’s a delicious Beer Cheese Dip to include on your Super Bowl party table this year!
The recipe for this Beer Cheese Dip reads like an all-star list of snack ingredients. Bacon, cheese, beer, more cheese…and it tastes better the next day! (As if there will be any leftovers…hah.) Seriously though, this dip can be made the day before a party and then just reheated in a crock pot for serving. Talk about easy party prep! One of my favorite ways to serve this dip is in a hollowed out bread bowl. Grab (or make) a large round loaf of sourdough bread and then just hollow out the center. Use the bread cubes as optional dippers along with tortilla chips, pretzels, and/or veggie sticks. (For a really fun idea, make a batch of these Classic Soft Pretzels and then serve them with this Beer Cheese Dip!)
I find that a medium ale works best in this recipe, but feel free to use whatever beer you happen to have around. (This time, I used a Sam Adam’s winter ale.) The beer gives the dip a nice tartness and depth of flavor, but it doesn’t overpower the flavor of the sharp cheddar cheese. (Of course, if you use a really dark beer like Guinness then the dip may take on more of a beer flavor. I haven’t used Guinness in this recipe yet…maybe next time!)
Beer Cheese Dip
- 3 slices bacon
- ½ Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 12-ounce bottle beer (preferably an ale or lager)
- 1 medium jalapeno seeds removed, finely diced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- 8 oz. cream cheese, cut into 1” cubes
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- pretzels chips, carrots, celery, etc, to dip
- In a large saucepan, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Transfer bacon to paper towels and pat dry; leave bacon grease in the pan.
- Add butter and stir with bacon grease until fully melted. Add flour and cook on medium heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the beer, jalapeno, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and mustard to the saucepan; whisk together until fully combined. Heat until mixture begins to simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and add the cream cheese. Stir until cream cheese has melted. Add the cheddar cheese gradually, stirring after each addition.
- Transfer to serving bowl and top with crumbled bacon.
- Serve warm with pretzels, chips, carrots, celery, etc.