Topped with bacon, jalapenos and two types of cheese, these Bacon Jalapeno Cheesy Breadsticks are an easy and delicious gametime snack!
I finally found it! After years of searching, I found it. Salami Piccante. If you’re not familiar with salami piccante, then you need to be! It’s a spicy variety of salami that’s hot, but doesn’t overwhelm your taste buds. It’s been loosely translated into pepperoni here in the States, but salami piccante is not pepperoni. Same general family, but so very different!
My wife and I first discovered salami piccante on our honeymoon trip to Italy several years back. It often appeared as a pizza topping, much like pepperoni appears on pizzas here in the States. But one bite and we were both addicted! Once we came back home, I was determined to find salami piccante to (1) relive our honeymoon memories and (2) because it’s delicious.
But finding this style of salami proved to be more difficult than I realized. This part of the country has a pretty heavy Italian influence, and there are a bunch of small authentic Italian markets. I drove around asking about salami piccante, but no dice. In fact, most folks hadn’t even heard of it. We tried higher-quality pepperoni and other varieties of salami that were supposedly similar. Delicious. Not salami piccante.
The other day, I stumbled across the salami section at our local Whole Foods. (How does one just “stumble” across the salami section?) And what to my wondering eyes should appear, but
a miniature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer salami piccante. I inspected that package thinking it was probably just pepperoni, but nope. It was the real deal Holyfield. We grabbed a package or six and headed off into the sunset…finally victorious! And in case you’re wondering, our Saturday night pizza was epic! (No offense to you, pepperoni. You are still delicious. But you are not salami piccante.)
So what does all this salami piccante talk have to do with these Bacon Jalapeno Cheesy Breadsticks? Well not too much honestly. I opted for bacon on these breadsticks because, well, bacon. These breadsticks couldn’t be any easier if they tried! Just roll out some pizza dough, brush it with an herbed olive oil and top with cheese, bacon and jalapenos. And try not to eat the entire batch in one sitting…or at least invite some friends over to help!
The jalapenos on these Bacon Jalapeno Cheesy Breadsticks pack some heat, so I do recommended spending the time to pop the seeds out. Of course, if spicy food is your thing, then leave the seeds in…but you’ve been warned! I also used a mixture of cheeses for these breadsticks. We usually go straight mozzarella for our pizzas, but I used a mix of mozzarella and Cabot pepperjack on these breadsticks. These breadsticks are loaded with flavor, and they were the perfect snack for playoff football games! Enjoy!
Have you ever had salami piccante?
What is your favorite breadstick topping?
Bacon Jalapeno Cheesy Breadsticks
- 8 oz. thick-cut bacon
- 1 batch pizza dough homemade or store-bought
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 jalapenos sliced (remove seeds for less heat)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Using a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat. Pat dry with paper towels; set aside.
- Roll dough into a 10”x16” rectangle. Place on a large cutting board.
- In a small dish, combine the olive oil, Italian seasoning, kosher salt and garlic powder. Brush this mixture evenly across the top of the pizza dough.
- In a medium bowl, combine both cheeses until well mixed. Sprinkle cheese mixture evenly across top of dough.
- Using a pizza wheel, slice the dough widthwise into 16 (10”) pieces.
- Place breadsticks on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Press jalapeno slices and crumbled bacon into each breadstick.
- Bake breadsticks at 425°F for 15-17 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.