This Avocado Club Flatbread is a cross between guacamole, avocado toast and a California club sandwich – and it’s delicious!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
A good club sandwich has always been one of my favorites. It’s hard to mess up a club sandwich. I’m pretty sure I survived my sophomore year of college thanks to the club sandwich. I lived in a dorm that was pretty far off the beaten path, and there was a little café downstairs that served a limited dinner menu. My favorite item? The club sandwich. And a side of french fries, of course. That might’ve been years ago now, but I can still remember the taste of that club sandwich. Is that strange? (It’s not because it was a notable sandwich, but rather it’s because I must’ve eaten a hundred of ’em!)
Avocado Club Flatbread
This Avocado Club Flatbread recipe was inspired by the classic club sandwich. However, I wanted to put a fun spin on it, and we happened to have extra pita bread in the freezer. A traditional California club sandwich features sliced avocados, tomatoes, bacon and turkey. I used the same ingredients here for this Avocado Club Flatbread, but I reimagined the concept a bit so that it would work for a flatbread.
Instead of sliced avocados, I mashed those avocados up with some cilantro and seasonings. I stopped short of making guacamole as I didn’t want the avocado mixture to overpower the rest of the flatbread. However, next time I make these flatbreads? I could see using guacamole as the base. You could actually say that this Avocado Club Flatbread is a cross between guacamole + avocado toast + California club sandwich. Whatever it is, I call it delicious!
I hope you enjoy this Avocado Club Flatbread recipe as much as we did – it’s a really fun way to reimagine a classic sandwich. Plus, you can’t ever go wrong with bacon! (In fact, you might want to double the amount of bacon in this recipe – you know, just in case some disappears on the way from the pan to the flatbreads.) Cheers!
Did you make this Avocado Club Flatbread at home? Leave a comment, or snap a photo and tag me on Instagram (@Spicedblog). I’d love to see your version – and how much bacon you loaded on top!
Avocado Club Sandwich
For the Avocado
For the Avocado
- Using a small bowl, add the avocados, cilantro, lime juice, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper; mash with a fork until somewhat smooth.
For the Flatbread
- Preheat oven or grill to 375°F.
- Brush the flatbreads with olive oil. Bake flatbreads directly on oven rack for 6-8 minutes, or until edges are slightly crispy. (Note: If grilling the flatbreads, then will likely cook a bit faster. Keep a close eye on them to prevent them from burning.)
- Remove flatbreads from oven and spread avocado mixture evenly on top.
- Top flatbreads with sliced turkey, cooked bacon and cherry tomatoes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Looking for more epic sandwich recipes? Check out these other ideas, too: