These Apple Pie Waffles are loaded with Fall flavor, and they’re perfect for Saturday morning breakfast…or Saturday evening dessert!
Can someone please tell me where the summer went? I feel like Cinco de Mayo was last week, but nope…that was Labor Day. Where did Memorial Day, July 4th and the dog days of summer go? I think someone stole them. Ah, well…at least we’re heading into my favorite time of the year here in upstate New York. Apple Season! Err, wait, I mean Fall!
We’re lucky enough to have several large apple orchards near our house, so we go over about once a week to grab various types of apples for snacking and baking. Ah, who am I kidding? We buy 95% honeycrisp apples. They’re seriously the best apple ever. Honeycrisps are just what they sound like…sweet and crispy. Perfect for snacking! And the honeycrisps around here are huge. They’re easily as big as your fist, and that’s probably erring on the small side. (In fact, today is the first day of honeycrisp season…and I’ll be on my way over to the orchard later this morning!)
However, when it comes to baking, I almost always go with the much tarter Granny Smith apples. The Apple Pie Bars earlier this week used Granny Smiths. Same thing goes for these Apple Pie Waffles. Are you noticing a trend here? Perhaps I have an unfulfilled need for apple pie in my life. Nah. I think it’s more the crisp early mornings and soon-to-be colorful leaves that just makes me crave apple pie everything!
Can we talk for a moment about breakfast-desserts? On most mornings, we eat cereal or Greek yogurt + granola. But then occasionally on the weekends, we’ll indulge ourselves a bit and make something tasty for breakfast. But our tasty weekend breakfasts could just as easily be tasty weekend desserts.
For instance, blueberry muffins are a huge favorite around our house. But I would be perfectly happy eating a blueberry muffin for dessert in the evening. Similarly, these Apple Pie Waffles were initially intended to be served as a dessert (note the scoop of vanilla ice cream on top). However, we ended up toasting up the leftovers for breakfast the next morning (minus the ice cream), and I think we actually preferred them as breakfast fare.
The mere fact that my wife and I debated whether these Apple Pie Waffles made a better breakfast or dessert proves my point. I acknowledge that breakfast-desserts are not necessarily the most healthy way to start your day, but for us the weekend is all about enjoying a couple of tasty indulgences that we don’t allow ourselves during the week.
What are your thoughts on this whole breakfast-dessert thing? Would you rather eat these Apple Pie Waffles for breakfast or dessert?
And to fulfill your waffle cravings, check out the other waffle recipes below for anything from Appetizers to Desserts (and everything in between, too)!
- Waffled Polenta Crisps with Caponata by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cheese & Pear Waffle Appetizer by The Freshman Cook
- Churro Waffles by A Nerd Cooks
- Coconut Flour Waffles with Macadamia Nuts and Spiced Pineapple Syrup by Aloha Flavor
- Orange and Dark Chocolate Waffles by Cookie Monster Cooking
- Buckwheat Waffles Benedict by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Honey Bacon Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Stuffed French Toast Waffles by The Spiffy Cookie
- Pumpkin Waffles with Butter Pecan Maple Syrup or Chocolate Waffles by With Salt and Wit
- Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Pecan Waffles by Rhubarb and Honey
- Pumpkin Waffle Sandwiches with Apple Butter and Brie by Go Go Go Gourmet
- Potato Waffle Eggs Florentine by Eats Well With Others
- Cauliflower Cheese Waffles by Food Lust People Love
- Sweet potato waffles with horseradish sauce by Our Good Life
- Mac and Cheese Waffles with Honey Bunches Chicken by Baking In A Tornado
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken & Belgian Waffles w/ Chili Whipped Butter & Maple Glaze by Blue Crab Martini
- Hummus Waffles with Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomatoes by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Sweet & Savoury Sausage & Apple Waffles by Fuchsia Freezer
- Nashville Hot Chicken and Waffles by GirlCarnivore
- Chicken and Spiced Sweet Potato Waffles by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Homemade Waffle Cones by Eva Bakes
- Pumpkin Pecan Waffles by Feed Me, Seymour
- Apple Pie Waffles by Spiced
- Red Velvet Waffles with Bourbon Cherry Syrup & Cream Cheese Drizzle by Cooking In Stilettos
- Pumpkin Pie Waffle Cake by Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
- Chocolate Strawberry Waffles by Dinner at the Zoo
- Banana Split Waffles by Cravings of a Lunatic