I’ve partnered with El Yucateco Hot Sauce and Collective Bias to create this Spicy Maple Grilled Corn. Loaded with seasonal flavor, this corn is the perfect side dish for the grill!
Can we take a moment to reflect back on the summer? My wife and I are still relatively new to upstate New York (if you can call 3 years “new”), and we spent the summer exploring this part of the country a bit more. Among my favorite summer activities were a day trip down to West Point (amazing!) and a quick overnight trip out to Gloucester and Salem, MA (equally awesome but in a different way!).
But now the leaves are starting to fall, and I need to pull on a sweatshirt in the mornings when I let the dogs out. Speaking of leaves, I had to get a new leaf blower this year. Yup, the old one went kaput. No amount of tinkering, pleading or beating it against the side of the shed would bring it back to life. So I bit the bullet and got a new one. But on the plus side, I now look like one of the Ghostbusters when I strap the new blower to my back. If only I could get a huge marshmallow to come walking around the corner…I’d turn that bad boy into a s’more faster than he could say “ghost.”
Before Old Man Winter arrives and shuts my grill down for a few months, I’m determined to get out there and make the most of these awesome Autumn days. After all, what’s better than grilling up some delicious food with friends on a gorgeous Fall day? Speaking of Fall, today’s treat is nice and simple…and it’s packed with delicious seasonal flavor. Say hello to this Spicy Maple Grilled Corn!
It’s been a while since I’d made this corn, but I was walking through Walmart the other day and noticed all of the El Yucateco hot sauces. Of course, I immediately thought of adding that hot sauce to all sorts of burritos and tacos…but then I remembered this Spicy Maple Grilled Corn. I made a dash straight over to the produce department and grabbed some corn. Since we now live in maple country, I’ve always got a stash of maple syrup on hand…so I was all set to grill up some delicious corn.
Corn is one of my favorite things to throw on the grill. It’s quick and easy, and grilled corn makes a great side dish to almost any meal. (Heck, sometimes it’s almost a meal in itself…like with this Mexican Street Corn that I made recently.) I personally find this recipe to be a great balance between spicy and sweet. The maple syrup caramelizes a bit on the grill and the El Yucateco hot sauce contributes a nice undertone of flavor. El Yucateco has several varieties of hot sauces, and I chose the Black Label Reserve for this Spicy Maple Grilled Corn. The Black Label Reserve has an awesome smoky flavor, so it pairs quite well on the grill with the sweet maple syrup. (The Black Label Reserve is exclusive to Walmart, so make sure to swing by and pick up a bottle…or two.)
Grab that bottle of hot sauce and throw some corn on the grill this weekend! It’ll taste great after you spend the afternoon blowing leaves. (Not that I speak from experience or anything…) Enjoy!
Spicy Maple Grilled Corn
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp El Yucateco Black Label Reserve hot sauce
- 6 ears of corn
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- pickled jalapenos optional garnish
- Using a small saucepan, add the butter, maple syrup, minced garlic and hot sauce. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is fully melted. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Reduce grill heat to medium and grill corn for 9-10 minutes, turning once. Brush with maple glaze and grill corn for 3-4 more minutes, rotating ears and brushing with additional maple glaze occasionally. (Note: The grill may flare up slightly if the glaze drips onto the burners. If this happens, just move the corn over a bit and continue grilling.)
- Remove corn from grill and add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with pickled jalapenos before serving (optional).