Do you love the sweet and salty combo in desserts? Then this Salted Caramel Frosting is for you! This buttercream recipe is great for cakes and cupcakes.
I am so proud of my little sis! Courtney Whitmore’s (of Pizzazzerie fame) 3rd (yes, 3rd) cookbook just got released, and it looks amazing! Frostings is the ultimate collection of frostings, ganaches, and glazes. If it’s used on a cake, then Courtney covers it in this book.
In addition to including 40 recipes, Frostings also includes several tips and tricks to help create the perfect topping for your cake. With flavors like Salted Caramel, Chai Vanilla Bean, and Champagne Buttercream, I think my baking agenda is set for many weeks to come!
Like me, Courtney is also a dog-lover, and she includes a Pupcake Frosting recipe in her book. My pups’ birthdays are coming up, and I can’t wait to make these pupcakes for them! Just to give you a little taste (no pun intended) of Frostings, I am excited to share this Salted Caramel Frosting recipe with you today.
I know, I know…of course David is going to endorse his little sister’s new book. But check out what some industry professionals have said about Frostings:
“Courtney’s inventive combination of cake, frosting, and a few yummy odds and ends is the most fresh and accessible take on the subject I’ve seen in a while.” -duff goldman, chef/owner, charm city cakes
“Frostings has a permanent slot on my kitchen bookshelf.” -joy the baker
“Courtney’s latest book is full of fabulous ideas for frostings and sweet treats!” -tori spelling
Salted Caramel Frosting
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt plus more for tasting
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Salted Caramel Drizzle optional garnish
- Sea Salt optional garnish
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter completely.
- Add brown sugar and cream. Stir until brown sugar is dissolved.
- Add in salt and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Allow to cool and come to room temperature.
- Place butter mixture in bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time.
- Add additional salt to taste.
- Add additional powdered sugar to thicken frosting or heavy cream to loosen frosting. (as desired)
- Garnish with Salted Caramel Drizzle and/or Sea Salt (optional).
Frostings is a great resource for anyone who loves to bake, and it also makes a great gift, too. So grab a copy on Amazon today. (You could also go for the trifecta and pick up Courtney’s books on Push-up Pops and Candy Making for Kids.) Oh, and a shout-out to Kyle Dreier for his amazing photography!