Seasoned with curry powder and cumin, a hot bowl of this Roasted Cauliflower Soup is the perfect lunch on chilly spring day!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
By Day 3, I was getting tired of sitting in front of the computer. I headed off to the kitchen to see if I could stir up some trouble. And stir up trouble I did! It’s been downright cold here in upstate New York this past winter. Even though we’re heading into spring now, it’s still a bit on the chilly side, and I felt like a hot, flavorful soup was in order. We’ve been eating different homemade soups since all winter, but we were out of leftovers. As boredom was beginning to set in, I decided to push my culinary boundaries a bit. You know, rummage around in the spice cabinet and see what I could find hiding in there. And there it was. Sitting in the back left corner of the cabinet. Curry powder. My wife is a huge fan of curry, but I don’t use it that much in the kitchen. It was clearly time to fix that problem!
Roasted Cauliflower Soup
We’re all about roasted veggies in the winter as a side dish, but I wanted to make soup. That’s when the recipe started to come together. Roasted veggie soup using curry powder. I grabbed a couple of heads of cauliflower and seasoned those bad boys with some olive oil, salt and curry powder. 45 minutes later, those roasted curried cauliflower were soft and ready to be blended into a soup. Yup, cauliflower soup. Yup, that same cauliflower that I poked at and pushed around my plate as a kid. Who knew that a little bit of curry was all I needed to turn cauliflower into a delicious and flavorful soup?
I believe this is our 5th batch of soup in the past two months. We’ve gone back in the Spiced archives and made Hearty Vegetable Bean Soup, Fiesta Chicken Soup (with leftover turkey instead of chicken) as well as another round of Wild Mushroom Bean and Barley Soup. What is your go-to lunch in the winter and early spring? As you can tell, ours is soup…lots and lots of soup!
Did you make a batch of this Roasted Cauliflower Soup at home? Leave a comment, or snap a photo and tag me on Instagram (@Spicedblog). Enjoy!
Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Spray with olive oil or nonstick baking spray. Set pan aside.
- Break cauliflower into florets and place in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, 1 tsp of salt and curry powder. Toss until well coated. Arrange florets in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Roast at 375°F for 38-40 minutes, or until florets are soft and lightly browned.
- Once the cauliflower is done, place a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the butter and diced onions and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the minced garlic and saute for 3-4 more minutes.
- Add the roasted cauliflower and chicken stock; bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining 2 tsp salt along with the coconut milk, cumin and cubed bread; stir until well combined.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and a dollop of sour cream before serving (optional).
Looking for more healthy soup recipes? Check out these other favorites, too: