Have guests in town during the holidays?
Make breakfast easy with this Overnight Coffee Cake!
I have a weakness for coffee cake. I say weakness, but what I really mean to say is that coffee cake is my Kryptonite. I can’t walk past it without at least grabbing a slice…or two. My sister even mailed me my favorite coffee cake for my birthday this past year. See, I told you I loved coffee cake! There’s something about the combination of brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg that stops me dead in my tracks. This Overnight Coffee Cake has been a family favorite since…well, since I can remember.
Overnight Coffee Cake
Aside from being incredibly easy to make, this Overnight Coffee Cake is packed with flavor, too. It’s topped with a cinnamon + brown sugar + pecan crust that is guaranteed to get you out of bed…quickly! This is the perfect recipe to have on hand when out-of-town guests come to visit. Make the cake up the day before and just store it in the refrigerator overnight. Then just stumble into the kitchen and pop it in the oven before your guests wake up. As this coffee cake bakes, the smell of brown sugar and cinnamon will fill your house, and I can assure you that your guests will be awake shortly thereafter!
My mother has been making this Overnight Coffee Cake for years. Even to this day, whenever I go to Nashville to visit, I can count on this coffee cake making an appearance. Heck, it’s easy and delicious…what’s not to love about that? In fact, this cake was one of the first recipes I learned how to make from scratch after I graduated from college.
Back in my bachelor days, I didn’t know much about baking. I thought breads and cakes just magically appeared. I thought the Keebler Elves were real. But then my mom taught me how to make this cake. I was hooked. Baking become a passion, but this Overnight Coffee Cake is still one of my favorites! Keep this recipe handy for when guests come in town during the upcoming holidays…but don’t count on having any leftovers!
Did you make this Overnight Coffee Cake? Leave a comment, or better yet snap a photo and tag me on Instagram (@Spicedblog). I’d love to see your version!
Overnight Coffee Cake
For the Cake
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Topping
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup pecans chopped
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, sugar and sour cream; whisk together until well combined.
- Add the eggs; mix until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt; mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into a greased 9"x13" baking pan.
- In a small bowl, make the Topping by combining the brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon. Sprinkle Topping evenly over the batter.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Uncover and bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Whisk the Glaze ingredients (powdered sugar, milk, vanilla) together until smooth. Allow cake to cool slightly and then drizzle Glaze evenly over cake.
Looking for more tasty coffee cake recipes? I’ve got ya covered! Check out these other favorites, too: