This Tomato Basil Bisque is perfect for a chilly winter day…and it’s ready in just about 30 minutes!
I’m kinda excited that winter is coming. I mean, I really love grilling outdoors in the summer, but there is something special about filling the fireplace with wood and curling up with a good book or a game by the fire for the day. My wife and I just finished restacking our firewood last weekend, so we are all set for the winter! I’m also looking forward to the first snow of the year. Don’t you just love how peaceful it is outside after it snows? I grew up in the South, and we didn’t see snow all that often…so it’s still a treat for me when those first few snowflakes start to fall. Note that I said I am looking forward to the first snow, though. After that, snow just means shoveling…and I am most certainly not a fan of shoveling!
Whether I’ve been outside shoveling snow or curled up by the fire, few things can top a steaming bowl of this Tomato Basil Bisque for lunch. Throw in a grilled cheese sandwich, and I’m pretty much good to go! My wife and I used to just go with canned tomato soup, but that was before I realized exactly how easy it is to make your own. Not only is it cheaper, but the flavor really beats the heck out of the canned stuff! And it only takes about 30 minutes to make a huge batch of soup that you can enjoy for the rest of the week.
I like to garnish this Tomato Basil Bisque with a bit of sour cream or pesto. (If you’ve never tried pesto as a garnish, then you definitely need to! Check out this post for a delicious pesto recipe.) I went with sour cream this time, and with Halloween almost here, I decided to have a bit of fun. I just piped several circles of sour cream and then pulled a skewer through the circles to create this spider web design. I love getting into the Halloween spirit!
Tomato Basil Bisque
For the Soup
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 2 28- ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup basil leaves
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 slices bread torn into small pieces
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 5-6 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream
For the Sour Cream Topping
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tsp milk
- Place olive oil in a large saucepan or stockpot over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and carrots. Cook until onions are translucent in color (about 7-10 minutes).
- Add crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir and increase heat to medium-high. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add basil leaves, oregano, bread, salt and pepper. Add 5-6 cups stock, depending on how thick you want the bisque to be. Stir and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, process the bisque until smooth.
- Stir in heavy cream.
- Garnish with Sour Cream Topping
For the Sour Cream Topping
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream and milk. Stir until smooth.